Ways to use old engine oil...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to use old engine oil...

This is a dumb thing to ponder, but I couldn’t resist....

As I was tinkering on my boat today, my mind wandered to ways to use old engine oil. A friend uses it in a custom built oil burning heating stove. That worked really well in his detached garage... almost too good as it gets pretty hot. It made me wonder how others may have used it instead fo simply taking to th recycle.

After Watching a video that my son showed me on you tube of some guys adding coke to thier fuel tank which honked theming up, it made me wonder what would happen if you added some to your gas or diesel fuel. Seeing how sugar caused to injectors and such to plug, i understand that failure. But seeing how used oil is less refined compared to fuel, but not sugar, how much would it honk up and how. I’m thinking it isn’t a matter of the oil rather more a matter of contaminants in the oil from lubricating the engine. I wouldn’t do it as I wouldnt want to mess something up, but it had me wonder if a gallon or so of used oil was added to a couple hundred gallons of gas or diesel or something like that.

I know this is a stupid mind thread, but it thought it would be fun to play with in the mind.

BJ
    BJ
    OMEGA

If you have a bunker oil engine, it would probably be okay. Some of that stuff is so thick they have to heat it just to pump it to the engine. In my 1970’s Cummins I would add one quart of atf to 200 gallons of diesel to keep the injectors clean, but that was the ‘70’s and those engines got four miles per gallon on a good day. I’ve been known to use old motor oil as a fire starter in my wood stove, but it’s messy.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

the older diesels would burn oil, but smoke like an oil burner.... even todays diesel engines will run on pure clean ATF, and when changing filters on equipment we sometimes fill them with atf to run thru the engine as a "conditioner", and with the "dry" diesel fuel that is sold today, its beneficial and helps lubricate the moving parts of the system.

used oil would burn as well... I wouldnt attempt to burn it in a road vehicle, but maybe a farm tractor, and ONLY after it was filtered and diluted a little bit with diesel to thin it down... or maybe kerosene. kerosene ignites better and burns cleaner, but it does not have the energy potential that #2 diesel offers...

unless you have an oil burning stove that is designed to burn used oil, there really is no good way to get rid of it other than taking it to recycle....

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra
      N2K equipped throughout..

Comment

Life time supply of bar oil for ya chain saw, concrete form release, or weed killer
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

O the Greene's will have a fit but years back mold diesel fuel was the best for weeds, would not but used oil in the fuel think of the stuff like carbon trace metals so on not good for the pump or injectors.
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

• Terkar
            Terkar commented
            Editing a comment
            Pored around fence posts it will help keep them from rotting for years.

Lots of auto shops burn used oil and will gladly take it off your hands to heat their shops.. I take mine and drop it off with the guy that gets my many old jalopies past Neuyorkistans ridiculous computer connected inspection program. Used Oil is a great way to say thanks to those oh so rare shops not out to stick you..
          I just keep the last empty 5qt jug and dump the pan from the current oil change in it and let it drain in overnight. Then put everything away and stash the full old oil jug out in the bushes. When I get a few and am going that way I swing by and drop them off.
          As for adding to diesel personally I’d say NO WAY. The injector pump on even an ancient tractor runs $600 +. You’ll never save that much and in all likelihood will end in tears.

Comment

I have a fleet of rental trucks and RV's. We collect used motor oil in a 250 gallon tote and I sell it to a company that uses it in the manufacture of roofing shingles. I get $100 for 250 gallons.

Side note...I have a built in fryer in my kitchen at home. Periodically I filter and drain the oil and burn it up in one of my diesel trucks. Internationals and Freightliners love the stuff.
            Mocoondo
            2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
            Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
            MMSI: 338091755

Comment

I read something some years ago where some diesel engines constantly feed small amounts of crankcase oil into the fuel system, I do not know if the operator needs to add oil or if it is auto pumped in.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post
                I read something some years ago where some diesel engines constantly feed small amounts of crankcase oil into the fuel system, I do not know if the operator needs to add oil or if it is auto pumped in.
                I am not aware of such a provision. With the extended oil change interval that commercial diesel trucks run on, I would be concerned with a low oil level situation developing.
                Mocoondo
                2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
                Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
                MMSI: 338091755

Comment

My dad was a truck driver for a number of companies, once worked fro Indian Head, I do not know where I heard or saw something about it, but thought it was trucks, might be a marine engine I read about.
                  It is possible that the engines had a separate used oil tank to blend filter oil. It has been a long time since I read about it.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

If you really want and have old school mechanical diesel engine you can get away with 1:100 mix to make the used oil go away. I wouldn't do that with a common rail engine but with the right filtration you probably would be fine there as well.
                    1989 3888
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Spread it on the road in front of your shop. It will drive the greenies wild but it will keep the dust down and when the government does that its called asphalt.
                      R.J.(Bob) Evans
                      Cierra 2755

Comment

Working...
                      X