ANC LIGHTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANC LIGHTS

Well, it’s been a pretty awesome couple days. Dicked my new 3870 for the first time at Gig Harbor with the help of an amused crowd of bystanders. Boaters seem to be very nice people. Today we made it to Kingston and the marina was pretty empty so I got some practice on a nice wide open slip. I wasn’t able to back in like I was hoping but I eventually nosed her in close enough to jump onto the dock and secure some lines. I’m really pleased with this old 3870 that I bought. The thing that impressed me so much is that all the little systems essentially still work; I just need to figure them out. Today I even discovered that my spotlight still works and even has a little servo system to remotely point it. Doty years old and still operational!
    This leads me to today’s question:
    wgat shoukd the ANC Lights switch turn on? My navigational lights work fine but I don’t get any response from the ANC position.

Comment

Anchor light (mooring light)?
      CapMartin, Montr├®al
      "Belle de Dalhousie"
      1986 3270
      Volvo BB225B

Comment

Achor lights were my first guess too, I just don’t know where they should be. No big deal though, I’m hoping to make it across Juan de Fuca tomorrow and once I’m safely moored in Victoria I can start running down the problems I’ve uncovered. Boat seems to run great though, I’m hoping to get her up to 20 knots tomorrow but I guess the water conditions will dictate that. Thanks to everybody for the help so far.

Comment

the anchor light will be near the top of the vessel, in a location where there is 360degree visibility, as the anchor light has to show in a continuous arc around the boat.

turn it on at night and go out and find it... if everything else works, its unlikely the nav/anchor lights have been neglected....

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Oh, so that should be like a masthead light. I have a white 270 degree light up on the radar arch but I think I might not actually have an anchor light. Oh well, one more thing for the list. Thankfully all pretty minor so far.

Comment

I should turn on the mast head light or in other words the highest light on the boat which should be above everything on the boat. It may need to be raised up if laid down. It may also turn on the the aft stern transom light if you have one.
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by BryGuy View Post
                Oh, so that should be like a masthead light. I have a white 270 degree light up on the radar arch but I think I might not actually have an anchor light. Oh well, one more thing for the list. Thankfully all pretty minor so far.
                a 270 degree, forward facing white light is a steaming light.... as for the lights on your vessel, the anchor light is just as required as the nav lights when operating at night, even if you arent anchored... its a requirement in the event that you have an issue and need to display the light to other vessels... depending on the length and/or status of the vessel, some are required to have working nav lights even if they never have, and never intend to run during the hours when lights may be required....

some masthead lights double as an anchor light... and the term "masthead" light is confusing when talking steaming and anchor lights.... the masthead light is a fixture and can be configured in a number of ways... some have the red and green contained in them also, but the combo fixtures is more commonly seen on sailboats.
                the forward looking white light at the top of the vessel is properly called a steaming light. it can sometimes be wired on its own switch or combined in the switch with the R/G nav lights.

some times the steaming light is a dual fixture light, with a white steaming light pointing forward, and another white light that looks rearward.... when the vessel is underway/steaming with the nav lights on, only the forward looking light is on,...
                then when the boat is anchored, the nav/steaming lights are shut off... and when it begins to get dark and the "anchor" light switch is turned on, both the forward and rearward lights come on together to creating a 360degree "all around white light".. more commonly called "the" anchor light...even though it may be two different bulbs glowing...

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Working...
                X