Moisture in core 4788

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture in core 4788

I have moisture in the deck core of the footwell that’s outside each pilothouse door on a 2000 4788. The moisture meter indicateds that it extends from just aft of each pilothouse door back to the drain at the aft end of each footwell. It sounds like this is a very common problem, so I’m hoping I can get some advice on what, if anything, to do for it from others that have dealt with this.
    James
    2000 4788 | "Freedom"
    Gig Harbor, WA
    11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
    Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
    Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

Your post caught me by surprise

I have never heard of a moisture issue in that or any other area of a 4788

The good thing I suppose is that the decks are foam cored, so not rot..

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

I’ve chatted with two yards, a broker and a surveyor about it and they have all indicated that it’s common. I hadn’t ever heard of it being a problem on the 47’s either, only 45’s. The general consensus from what I’ve gathered is that the area is contained, it’s not structural, and because of the foam core there’s no rot to worry about, so don’t waste money trying to fix it. The yards each said that it would be about $4k/side to fix properly.
      James
      2000 4788 | "Freedom"
      Gig Harbor, WA
      11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
      Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
      Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

Comment

When we bought our 45 there were several leaks in that area. The PO always thought they were from the scupper drains. Where it turned out to be was the lower tracks on the PH doors. I am not sure if the 47 is similar but there were 4 screws below the actual track. I happen to see them when I was walking on the dock. All of them leaked so when you washed the boat even there was running water inside the master shower/tub area and the mid stateroom on the other side. You have to remove the doors and the lower track to get to them. I replaced some of the core on the starboard side as well as the shower walls. I would think that area on a 47 of that vintage could just be dried out.

Comment

Working...
        X