Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Noob 3870 Questions

Overview of sanitation plumbing. More plumbing

Question about sanitation system. I hope you can see something useful in photo above.

1. Do I have a macerator? There is warning label on a T-series pump located behind that sanitation additive jug that says the T-series pump should not be used in conjunction with vaccu-flush, which I do have. Any thoughts on that? After a flush the T-series pump comes on for a bit (churning tank?) but a few times it ran a long time before it stopped. I’m worried the system is not designed properly.

2. There is a battery located behind the helm in a hatch beside the fridge. I’ll try to attach pic. Any idea what that battery powers?

Comment

Comment

What you have there is a tdx on board treating system. We had one on out last boat for 29 years with only a few problems. You are better than average being in B.C. In that you are not flushing directly overboard. He system has been outlawed by the EPA for all of the US Salish Sea. Don’t get me started on that. As far as the system operation, when you flip the switch to treat and discharge, a small motor injects fluid from that gallon jug (can be cut 50/50) for about 10 seconds, then the mixing/stirring function starts. The small motor at the bottom of the tank operates a little paddle inside the tank for about 20 minutes, then the Macerator pumps the contents overboard based on a timer, not the fluid level. Never, ever put any TP in there that doesn’t melt in a few seconds, or Kleenex! It gets wrapped around the paddle and causes all sorts of mayhem.....ask me how I know.
        To service that motor or paddle, you will disconnect the wires to the fluid level probes that, btw, need to be cleaned from time to time, remove the cap and, depending on the size of your forearm, reach down to the paddle to clear the paddle. Yup, yuck! If the motor needs to be removed, there is a small set screw on one of the flat sides of the paddle that needs to be loosened, then the paddle removed, then you can use a wrench or water pump pliers to remove the inner nut. Then the motor comes right out. Many owners have cobbled in a regular macerator pump to stir the stuff.
        I don’t have any knowledge about the vacflush issue, but if you call Marine Sanitation in Seattle, they are the go to guys for that unit. I set my previous boat up so I could directly discharge, which I decided was not worth the effort of swinging the Y valves, treat and discharge or pump out at a facility which was really hand after a couple of days at Roche Harbor.
        If your run sequences are inconsistent, the timers on the control board are to blame. They are in the black box connected to the side of the tank. It’s a neat system, but quickly coming under fire because those that don’t listen refuse to recognize that the treatment is better than many municipalities. On my 3818 one of the first things I had to do was replace all of the sanitary hoses. I removed the Y valve entirely. I can still pump overboard using my macerator where it’s legal, but I’ve learned a lot about pumpout stations and services.
        I’m highly concerned about that battery in that location. IMO, there should never be a lead acid battery in the living space. A gel cel or agm would be okay because they don’t off gas while charging. About the only way you can find out what it powers is to open the breaker panel and chase some wires if turning the breakers off and on don’t activate something. The one for the autopilot may go to a bad unit for instance.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Aside from the sanitation system, the battery installation is unsafe and would flunk any insurance inspection and possibly negate a claim. Batteries give off an inflammable gas and can't be be mixed with the electric panel. You need to find a boat-smart buddy to walk you through all your systems.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Agree on the battery - that is all kinds of dumb installation even if you get around the offgassing risk.

I also get why the PO did that - the Power feed to all the other DC loads in the boat was pathetic with no room to add anything after the fact.
            1989 3888
            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
            X