4588: Exterior Woodwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588: Exterior Woodwork

I'll be moving the boat down to Savannah next week to be trucked up to Lake Lanier where I'll be doing the restoration on the 4588.
    one of the most immediate projects is some exterior woodwork. In the pics you can see the bad piece of teak which I will replace, but in the pic with the compromised wallboard, how should I go about replacing that section?...it is soft straight into the salon.

And any thoughts where to buy teak? I will need to replace that small piece in the pic as well as the piece over the transom door.

Thank you so much for all of your help...i wouldn't be able to do this without your insight!

Hi Jeff
    I don't know the resources around Savannah but " Jamestown Distributors" will have the Teak and Tools you might need.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Look into the smaller lumber suppliers, not the big box stores, for your teak. The replacement for the plywood my son used on his 2550 was Azac expanded pvc sheet. It’s a foam type board that’s used in construction for trimming out porch columns and other non structural features that are exposed to the weather. Cuts and finishes like wood, just a bit harder on blades.
      As to the removal and installation, because most things are designed for assembly as modules, it may be that you will want to remove and plan on rebuilding the entire bulkhead. The problem that I’ve run into is fasteners for the horizontal pieces of teak being mounted with screws that come through verticals that are against the cabin preventing a person from getting to the head of the screw. Think of it like having to take the dash out of your truck to remove the heater. The heater box is real easy to get at when they are assembling the cab, but when they add the dash and put an engine on the other side, it becomes a big job.
      One tool you are going to use the heck out of is an oscillating saw. I have a Fien and use Dremil brand blades in it. It’s not great at cutting stainless steel screws but if I’m doing any close trimming, it’s my go to tool.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

https://www.advantagelumber.com/catalog/

I buy my Cumuru there, they also have teak, best prices I can find, look on line then give then a call
        They mill a lot of their lumber after it is shipped in from over seas.
        They have several locations. there is one in savanna and in Florida, they do ship.
        Tell them what you need.
        If you provide a photo of your existing teak they will try and match it, wonderful place to deal with.
        Use marine plywood for the panels and cover with counter top laminate.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

any wood you replace, seal the bottoms, sides, etc before you do your final mounting, this way when you varnish or what ever other finish you choose you do not have water intrustion that will cause it to lift from the bottom or edges/corners
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
          X