Bayliner 4788 engine access hatches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 4788 engine access hatches

it’s time to get serious about engine access on my 4788.
    Now is the time because I am replacing the carpet in the next 60 days so I have this one opportunity to modify things.

In the photo the red lines represent the current hatches on my boat.

The green lines represent the hatches I’d like to add

I remember someone posting thast they had done this, or at least the port side ones.

anything to share regarding this?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9F20A3C-B917-42D3-AD6B-737BCE6C5E5D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	717.5 KB
ID:	403859

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

After seeing this done on Steve's boat (Woodsea) I added an access hatch on the port side when the flooring was replaced. Mine is a single hatch and longer than what your conceptual drawing indicate. Steve's is designed as two narrow hatches, combined the opening is about the same size as mine. It Makes it very easy to access the far side of the port engine. I did not do the starboard side as I have the stock couch and it is bolted down.
    2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
    Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
    Sanger wakeboard boat
    volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

Originally posted by Oakland4788 View Post
      After seeing this done on Steve's boat (Woodsea) I added an access hatch on the port side when the flooring was replaced. Mine is a single hatch and longer than what your conceptual drawing indicate. Steve's is designed as two narrow hatches, combined the opening is about the same size as mine. It Makes it very easy to access the far side of the port engine. I did not do the starboard side as I have the stock couch and it is bolted down.
      That is pretty much exactly what I want to do! Thanks!

I have the stock couch as well. The problem is that when I need to get to the outboard side of the starboard engine, I would gladly unbolt the couch as opposed to squeezing in around the exhaust hose. The need does not come up often, but when it does, it does. We also do not have the stock holding tank right there. We have a small holding tank and treatment system at the forward end of that area. The other hatch in my photo is to access the top of the treatment system, easing maintenance.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Adding the starboard side makes sense. I could have used it recently, I had to convince my mate to crawl around the starboard side and I am still hearing about it. I found some more photos. My hatch is contiguos to the engine access hatch and the length corresponds with the two engine hatches combined. Bob
        2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
        Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
        Sanger wakeboard boat
        volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

• Destiny_4588
          Destiny_4588 commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the flooring, what did you use? teak & holly sheets of PlasDeck like material?

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        it’s time to get serious about engine access on my 4788.
        Now is the time because I am replacing the carpet in the next 60 days so I have this one opportunity to modify things.

In the photo the red lines represent the current hatches on my boat.

The green lines represent the hatches I’d like to add

I remember someone posting thast they had done this, or at least the port side ones.

anything to share regarding this?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9F20A3C-B917-42D3-AD6B-737BCE6C5E5D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	717.5 KB
ID:	403859
        Image not showing. Clicking leads to "Invalid File Specified"

Comment

Kevin,
          my hatches are identical to what Bob’s done except the port hatch is in two pieces. The two hatches are easier to handle. The single hatch eliminates a seam. If I was doing it now, I would probably go with a single.

I do not have outboard S engine hatches. I do have some 1/2” plywood boards that I can lay over the S shaft sump making a flat surface to crawl across. Not ideal but workable to get at the S starter. I have similar board up front of the motor. I have my belt guards at home. That provides a little more room without them there.
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Kevin, I may have posted this previously, but I will try to attach pictures of the hatches I created on the port side of my 2000 4788. I have removable insulation between the two hatches(not shown). I also cut a smaller port access hatch just above the port location of the battery charger, and a starboard access hatch to the rear of the original waste holding tank. Easy access on the port side. The carpet is permanently fixed along the center hatch between the engines (which I also cut out at the same time). The outer edge of the carpet (port and starboard) is removable from the spiked carpet stretchers.

Comment

Originally posted by JMistress View Post
              Kevin, I may have posted this previously, but I will try to attach pictures of the hatches I created on the port side of my 2000 4788. I have removable insulation between the two hatches(not shown). I also cut a smaller port access hatch just above the port location of the battery charger, and a starboard access hatch to the rear of the original waste holding tank. Easy access on the port side. The carpet is permanently fixed along the center hatch between the engines (which I also cut out at the same time). The outer edge of the carpet (port and starboard) is removable from the spiked carpet stretchers.
              Very nice!

Thanks!

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY
              SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Kevin,
                Did some digging in my archives this morning and found these pics showing the two hatches on P side. You can see the two hatches leaning up against the battery switch cabinet. One nice thing of two hatches are the size.
                2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                MV Kia Orana
                Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                  Kevin,
                  Did some digging in my archives this morning and found these pics showing the two hatches on P side. You can see the two hatches leaning up against the battery switch cabinet. One nice thing of two hatches are the size.
                  I really like the removable support.

im going to use that!

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY
                  SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Working...
                  X