Midship toilet overflowing on 4588-gctid401890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midship toilet overflowing on 4588-gctid401890

Now that I have repaired the leak in our main water tank, and am able to use it, ( thanks for your ideas on that by the way) I find that the midship toilet overflows (and fills the entire bathroom with water) when the tank is full. As the level drops the toilet seems to take on the level of the tank. We have electric jabsco toilets. I am considering just adding a 12 volt normaly closed solenoid on the toilet supply line, so that water is only delivered when the pump is called, but thought I should ping this outrageous resource first. I suppose the bow toilet is higher so we don't see the problem there, but standing water level does rise a bit when the tank is full.

Any thoughts? Thanks Steve

If I am assuming right that the heads are freshwater plumbed and hooked up to the pressurized house system, (at least that's how mine are plumbed) the water supply is coming from the aft where the pressurization pump is. It may be that the overflowing aft head relieves the line pressure before it gets to the forward head and a solenoid on both is the answer.

Comment

Cannot help you but from your post I have the distinct impression that you already contaminated your fresh water supply with your toilet bowl contents. I hope I am wrong. Also, I would not ever trust a one-way valve or electric valve to prevent this.

Bart

Comment

pika steve wrote:
        Now that I have repaired the leak in our main water tank, and am able to use it, ( thanks for your ideas on that by the way) I find that the midship toilet overflows (and fills the entire bathroom with water) when the tank is full. As the level drops the toilet seems to take on the level of the tank. We have electric jabsco toilets. I am considering just adding a 12 volt normaly closed solenoid on the toilet supply line, so that water is only delivered when the pump is called, but thought I should ping this outrageous resource first. I suppose the bow toilet is higher so we don't see the problem there, but standing water level does rise a bit when the tank is full.

Steve

There is a valve in your electric head that lets fresh water in when you flush the head. It appears to be stuck open.

This happened to us once, although it was a Raritan Vaccuflush head that did it. Flooded the head compartment.

Should be an easy fix.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

pika steve wrote:

Jabsco data sheet. http://www.pumpvendor.com/media/jabs...245_series.pdf

Jabsco parts list. http://www.pumpvendor.com/Jabsco_Parts_List.html slow to load on this one.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Steve, I'm not sure how you plumbed it when you converted to fresh water supply to your heads, but our 4788 with sea water supply to Jabsco electric heads is plumbed as follows. We have a single though hull and single pressure pump that provides sea water to both heads. The pump activates at low pressure and pumps till it gets to a set high pressure and shuts off. At each head there is a solenoid valve that opens when activated to allow the sea water into the head. When it is opened, the pressure drops and the pump activates until the valve is closed. The switches in each head to add sea water simply activate the solenoid valve.

How is yours set up?
            Mike
            "Allante I" Rayburn 75
            Previous: '97 4788

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
              Jabsco data sheet. http://www.pumpvendor.com/media/jabs...245_series.pdf

Jabsco parts list. http://www.pumpvendor.com/Jabsco_Parts_List.html slow to load on this one.
              Possibly I'm missing something and need enlightment???

Steve indicated that his head compartment flooded when he filled his fresh water tank. This indicates he has a fresh water head, or at the very least that his head is connected to his freshwater system. (On my 4788 the heads are fresh water.)

The brochure and parts list provided appears to be for a seawater head.

A freshwater head would not need or use a pump for drawing water into it. It would use a valve to control the flow of water that is pressurized by the boats potable water pump.

I'm confused. Does Jabsco make an electric head designed for use in a freshwater system?

What head does Steve have on his boat?

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Seat of the pants engineering.......Steve here!

These were salt water toilets, and perhaps do not have the inherent valve that prevents water from getting in? I did not like the salt water flush (actually it was the wife that didn't like them) so I took a feed from before the pressure pump, installed a ball valve then check valve, and ran fresh water to the downstairs hallway where the vacuum cleaner is, in 5/8 tube. I tee,d and went to each toilet with another light spring loaded check valve for each toilet. I did not connect to the pressure side of things because I wanted the toilets to have to "beg" for water just to keep the water use low. The front toilet is pretty much flawless, just the midship that is a pain. Not sure how sewage will back up from pump discharge, against inward water flow and go backwards through two check valves, and the proposed N/C solenoid, but if this is possible I better fix that pronto. I was actually going to get rid of the second check valve when I installed the solenoid. Might just haul apart the toilets to learn how they work, but both electric pumps are brand new. I removed both old rusted sunken ones and installed new.

Thanks for your thoughts. Steve

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                  Possibly I'm missing something and need enlightment???

Steve indicated that his head compartment flooded when he filled his fresh water tank. This indicates he has a fresh water head, or at the very least that his head is connected to his freshwater system. (On my 4788 the heads are fresh water.)

The brochure and parts list provided appears to be for a seawater head.

A freshwater head would not need or use a pump for drawing water into it. It would use a valve to control the flow of water that is pressurized by the boats potable water pump.

I'm confused. Does Jabsco make an electric head designed for use in a freshwater system?

What head does Steve have on his boat?
                  If the supply for the head is tied into the supply hose not the pressure side then a seperate pump is needed, otherwise an solenoid valve is necessary, always closed unless power is supplied.

http://www.pumpvendor.com/media/jabs...045_series.pdf

The Quiet-Flush toilet provides both quiet operation and user control of water levels in the toilet bowl. A single large push button switch provides a simple flush mode by activating both the rinse water supply and the macerator discharge pump simultaneously. An additional rocker switch offers independent control of the rinse water supply and discharge pump separately so the bowl water level can be easily raised or lowered by the user. This provides a method of minimizing water use, when desired, as well as a means of raising the water level in the bowl when appropriate for user comfort. It also allows for complete evacuation of the bowl water while underway in rough sea conditions.

Water control solenoid valve with anti-siphon breaker to prevent contamination of potable water supply. 1-2 Quarts (Litres) per Flush.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                  X