5788 air horn replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5788 air horn replacement

Does anyone know how to access the air horn on the pilot house brow and air motor. I need to replace both.

That’s a great question... I’ve been having issue with my horn, too... I was going to pull the wall cover just starboard of the sliding door to the fly bridge. I believe, after looking around, that ther is an entry behind th wall cover. I’m hoping to it the next week or two. If I find it, I’ll let you know....unless someone else knows... lol.

BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

• ELNIDO 3
      ELNIDO 3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply, will look into the wall cover.

If your air horn is not working, here's a suggestion to try before you replace it. First, confirm that the air pump is delivering air to the horn. Pumps fail, hoses come loose or kinked. If pump and hose are working, take the rear cover off the back of the horn. You will find there is a brass diaphragm, with a steel pin that is attached to the rear cover. Hold the brass diaphragm up to the light: if you see holes, replace with some brass shim stock. If the diaphragm is ok, try 'tuning' the horn.... the distance from the end of the pin to the diaphragm is critical to produce the sound. I 'tuned' mine by hitting the back plate with a rubber mallet until I got my horn back! Good luck.

Comment

My horn seems somewhat intermittent.... if I hear the pump run, th horn works. It seems to have an intermittency in its operation. It either works or doesn’t and if it does, it depends on how strong it operates. I haven’t had a chance to truly investigate it, but I’m thinking it may be a ground or something in th switch.. I’m hoping that it is something simple like that, but in order to trouble shoot it properly, I have to get to the pump...

~BJ
      BJ
      OMEGA

Comment

BOC member Rooster in Edmonds had a really good post on the ‘how to’ on fixing Fiamm air horns, which included the source of new diaphragms, and even a video explaining how to install them, and how to tune the horns afterwards.

With the new site format I’ve been unable to successfully search for that post and I hope it’s not been lost in the changeover (like several hundred of my posts) but the repair is very simple. The tuning takes a little while, and you’ll need understanding dock neighbors to put up with the incessant horn blowing during this task.

With the way the horns are located on the pilothouse roof, rain water and salt spray can easily get in there, and they need tuning regularly. On our Meridian 490, the horns were mounted on the side of the roof and angled downward - they never needed servicing in the 8 years we owned the boat.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

• MerlinV
          MerlinV commented
          Editing a comment
          It was supposed to be Robster in Edmonds effing spellcheck!

I think this is the video that was linked to that BOC post you are talking about, Rob, right? It is good information,,, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=grcoEV-D0Y0. Hopefully the link works.

~BJ

BJ
        OMEGA

Comment

Btw, Rob... I like your profile pic,,, MerlinV is looking good, my friend...
          BJ
          OMEGA

Comment

Looking for a replacement electric heater (just inside salon door to port) on my 1985 3870...

Comment

Working...
            X