3270 Windlass Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3270 Windlass Recommendations

In the process of selecting a windlass for my 3270. All the wiring and even a foot switch is already in place from a unit that was installed by the previous owner. It was taken off before I bought the boat. I was considering the Pro-Series Lewmar H1000 with 5/16 gypsy or the slightly smaller H700 with 1/4 chain. The H700 can pull 700 lbs. compared to 1000 for the H1000. I think the Horizontal unit might give me more rode space in the locker, but I don't really know anything about it. Any thoughts about these units. I read some bad reviews on the West Marine site. Something about no gasket between the two halves which almost guarantees that it will flood and rust to pieces on the inside.
    1987 3270 135-Hino
    Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Horizontal and 5/16th. You have lots of brand choices and will hear lots of opinions. I have had both Lofrans and Muir without any issues. You don't want to save a few bucks and have issues because the issues will be at the most inconvenient time.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I'm very happy with my Lewmar 1000 and 5/16" chain. I would not go for the 700.
      I'm in fresh water so I can't comment on possible rust issues.
      CapMartin, Montr├®al
      "Belle de Dalhousie"
      1986 3270
      Volvo BB225B

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I wonder why there is only one foot switch on my boat, looks like the H1000 needs two, one for up and one for down. I have no idea what model was initially installed there.
        1987 3270 135-Hino
        Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

I recently picked up the Lewmar Pro 1000 for my 90 3288. I have yet to install it but based on reading several forum articles I went with 200ft of 5/16 chain. I also decided on the Rocna anchor and finally have removed the pulpit. It was delaminating and soaked with water. I chose to get rid of it instead of fix it. It will make for a snug fit between anchor and windlass on deck but will work just fine. And the boat is about 2ft shorter.

Paul
          US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
          MMSI: 338181912

Comment

Are you going with foot switches or the helm rocker switch? Is there particular type of chain that is required or will any old chain work?
            1987 3270 135-Hino
            Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

Something to think about.

you can get more.1/4 HT chin in you locker and it's stronger that 5/16 BBB chain
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

I looked at the 700 and if I recall the combination of the size of the boat, weight of the anchor and all chain rode it was beyond the capabilities of the 700. I went with 5/16 G4 chain over BBB.

Paul

Comment

I think you will be just fine with 1/4” G4 chain for that size boat. as Oldsolider pointed out G4 chain is more efficient in terms of working strength Vs weight.

Also for that size boat going with a all chain rode is a good idea. One thing that makes it a good idea is that there becomes a point where combination rode/chain gypsies do not work very well for both materials. I do not know where that point is, I just know that I was unable to get a combination rode/chain gypsy equipped windlass for our 4788 where the gypsy actually worked properly. with both rode and chain reliably.

The lifting power you need is based on you. Your anchor weight, and the depth you need to be able to anchor in. This is different for everyone.

As far as technology, I am a big fan of Horizontal windlasses, but that is just me. The vertical ones I’ve had worked great as well.

As to brands, I have a Lofrans Tigress on our boat. Great windlass, but probably a bit overkill for your application. I have also had great success with Maxwell windlasses.

The wiring of the controls on any windlass is the same. You need three wires to a switch from the solenoid(s). These can be a up/down foot switch, or two switches. It can be a toggle switch on the dash, really whatever you want is easy.

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

I'm not sure if a Lewmar Pro 1000 that accepts 1/4" chain is readily available. You might have to special order it. The 700 given it's intended for smaller vessels might come out of the box ready for 1/4" chain. Assuming you go with Lewmar. I went with the 1000 and the 5/16 chain to better handle the weight but also in the event I find a log or some abandoned logging equipment and wanted a little more pulling capacity given our logging history in the PNW.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by colbournee View Post
                      Thanks for the advice. I wonder why there is only one foot switch on my boat, looks like the H1000 needs two, one for up and one for down. I have no idea what model was initially installed there.
                      I only have the rocker switch that comes in the box but I would more likely consider installing a remote control than drilling the cored deck for extra switches.
                      CapMartin, Montr├®al
                      "Belle de Dalhousie"
                      1986 3270
                      Volvo BB225B

Comment

I went with 5/16 HT or G4 which has a 3900 pound working load limit for our 4788. We have hundreds of days at anchor, and have anchored several times in gale force winds. I do not have a tensionmeter but I’m really sure that we never come close to that 3900 pound Working Load Limit.

We have a 80 lb SARCA Excel anchor, and often anchor up in over 300’ depth when fishing. This is a low scope anchoring since we carry only 550’ of chain.

When you combine 300’ of chain at 1.17 pounds per foot and the 80 lb anchor we have a dead lift of 430 pounds. More pulling capability is needed as we break out the anchor using the windlass. The Lofrans Tigress is rated at 430 lbs working load, and 3080 pound pulling stall force, making it well suited for our application.

I would have no problem dropping to 1/4 HT chain for a 32’ Bayliner due to their lower wind loading levels, if the reduced weight or volume makes sense for the boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

From everything I have read on BOC, by going with (all) 5/16 chain you are limited to about 200' in the chain locker. I don't recall seeing any mention of how much 1/4 chain you can carry but I'm sure there is somebody here who can tell you. I went with G4 over BBB by the way for the reasons others have stated.

In terms of installation, which I've only just started, I did buy foot switches for the bow. I considered a remote but in truth my boat is a resurrection in progress so I thought it more prudent to save the money on the remote and invest in one of the numerous other things that need attention. I mounted the up/down switch that came with the windlass on the upper helm but added a separate on/off switch ahead of the up/down switch. Just to get an added measure of comfort that somebody won't accidentally hit the up/down switch. I am considering adding another switch to the lower helm but really don't see myself raising or lowering the anchor from the lower helm simply because of the poor visibility.

Paul

Comment

FWIW

I have a lemar 700 for 15 plus years on a 3218 . I have only 15 feet of 1/4 in chain and the biggest hi-tensle anchor I could fit on the pulpit. It has always worked for me, but marginally. When I have to replace I will go with the 1000 and if your considering any amount of substaintial chain the 700 is out of the question.

Ron
                            1989 3218
                            1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
                            2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, My initial thought was that the 700 with 100 feet 1/4 HT chain and 200 ft 1/2 Samson proset three strand rope would work on the 3270. That's a very light duty boat by all standards. I think 5/16 HT chain is over kill for that boat and small chain locker. That said right now in eastern Canada the Lewmar H1000 is actually cheaper than the H700. Something about volume of sales.
                              1987 3270 135-Hino
                              Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

• O1dSoldier
                                O1dSoldier commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well, we know there are more 32 series Bayliner out there than probably any other boat and according to your research the 1000 exceeds the 700 in sales enough that it's actually cheaper. Is there a relation here? Perhaps, perhaps not but I bet dollars to donuts the majority of 32xx boats have the 1000 or equivalent.

I don't know that the 32 could be called light duty or not but I do know a 32 with fly bridge canvas and an enclosed cockpit is a giant sail and catches wind like nothing else. With that in mind a heavier anchor and rode that helps reduce the possibility of dragging is good piece of mind. For me anyway.
                            Working...
                            X