Replacing the 135 Hino elbow/turbo gasket-gctid401833

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the 135 Hino elbow/turbo gasket-gctid401833

I am about to perform this operation and have read all that I've been able to search out on the site. I have the elbow/turbo gasket, 2 copper washers for the turbo oil supply banjo, the turbo oil return gasket and a 4" ABS pipe cap to seal off the exhaust system. Are there any other supplies or parts I should have available, or any tricks or pitfalls I should Know about?
    Paul
    2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
    2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

Use PB Blaster on each nut and bolt. Let them soak for a bit. Make sure that even if you use the PVC to block the exhaust that you tie it up so it doesn't get below the water line, because it will fill the muffler with water.

It might be easier to leave the exhaust hose clamped to the riser and just remove the whole thing as one. Those exhaust hoses can be a bear to remove and reattach.

It's really not a hard job. Everything is pretty accessible and easy to get at.

Comment

Be careful to not overtighten the banjo fitting or you will crush them.
      Rick
      2002, 3788

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion to leave the riser connected to the exhaust. I can see where that might be much easier, as long as there's enough flex in the exhaust+riser+turbo assembly to pull the elbow-to-turbo joint apart and insert the new gasket.The following pic shows ( red arrow) where there is now definitely a leak in the elbow/turbo joint. This was confirmed by spraying a soap mixture there, and various other places in the area. No other leaks were found at that time. The green arrows point to what looks like asbestos fibers sticking out from the turbine cover. Could this also be a leak source and, if so, is it repairable?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705998=29946-Turbo leak 1.jpg[/img]The next pic shows what the area looked like when I first discovered there was a leak (before I cleaned off as much of the soot as I could). There's no soot at all on the elbow/turbo area (the arrow is where the hole in the gasket is located)...interesting...

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705998=29945-Soot1 - Copy (640x480).jpg[/img]Tomorrow my son-inlaw and I are going to have at it. I'll post the results once I've had a chance to do a test run. Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705998=29944-Turbo leak 1.jpg[/img]
        Paul
        2013 Tandem TuffTrailer

Comment

I have been fighting that problem on my boat for years. I have ceramic coated the turbo to manicooler adaptor

to get rid of the rust problem. That gasket is a real pain, I have to replace mine again after two years. I got two

years out of the last one also. The gasket area is not large enough on the top and bottom. I'm trying to find some

other sort of material to use there. Make shure you have perfect flat flanges or it may leak again soon. I guess this is alway going to be a concern on these dry turbos. Also make shure you loosen all mounting bolts so when

you bolt the turbo back on it doesn't bind up.
          Steve
          1987 3218 (sold)
          135 HINO
          2016 Past Commodore, Swinomish Yacht Club. La Conner Washington

Comment

There were some nearly insurmountable issues with part numbers for the elbow/turbo gasket, but once we got the right one, the job went well. Helps that my son-in-law has been taking apart engines since he was a kid. Unfortunately, I still have a leak, but it now appears it's coming from the sides of the curved cover attached to the turbo. There is what looks like stuffing material coming out of the sides and I can feel the gasses coming out both sides when the rpm's are up. Here's a picture (the red arrow shows where the leak was in the elbow/turbo gasket):

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/711852=30592-Turbo leak 1.jpg[/img]Is it possible to fix or have this fixed, or does this mean a new turbo? The cover is quite rusted because the PO ran the boat for a while with a small leak in the riser that was spraying a salt water mist onto the turbo area.I'll post the elbow/turbo gasket part number that was correct in the end (for this boat), as soon as I find the misplaced receipt. The number I used initially (17104-1180)to order the gasket was the one I got from the Hino d-base, but it turned out instead to be the number for the manicooler/elbow gasket. In the end, the guy at Marine Parts of Canada apparently found the correct gasket by looking at pictures we sent him of the elbow and rummaging through his parts boxes.
            Paul
            2013 Tandem TuffTrailer

Comment

Bodie wrote:

I'll post the elbow/turbo gasket part number that was correct in the end (for this boat), as soon as I find the misplaced receipt. The number I used initially (17104-1180)to order the gasket was the one I got from the Hino d-base, but it turned out instead to be the number for the manicooler/elbow gasket. In the end, the guy at Marine Parts of Canada apparently found the correct gasket by looking at pictures we sent him of the elbow and rummaging through his parts boxes.
              I'm curious if the part number posted here matched up with your final findings for the gasket number. Glad you found it finally.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...highlight=long

Comment

Working...
              X