1988 3218 repower-gctid401814

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 3218 repower-gctid401814

I need some advice. I have 305's and my port engine is knocking. The mechanic at the marina said I it is a rod. The boat is in salt water. Would it be better for me to totally repower or to just get the long block replaced? I am waiting on estimates. Any recommendations?

Gregory wrote:
    Would it be better for me to totally repower or to just get the long block replaced?
    The answer is real simple: It totally depends on how much money you want to spend.

Comment

Yup, comes down to the moolah. I've got the 305's with 700 hours. If I developed a terminal issue with one motor I'd be inclined to just fix it, assuming of course the other motor was solid. There is a recent thread about a repower to 350's that might give you a good idea of the cost.

Comment

I did a repower last fall, going from 305's to 280hp 350 long blocks. All is well with new ones, other than they do use more fuel at the same speed and rpm. I am in the late stages of break in, so this might get better. The new long blocks were about $2900 each, and was told that 305's would have ben quite a bit more, due to availibility. My boat is also a 1988, and had about 2000 hrs on engines when I changed them out. Just for your info, top end speed went from 23 to 24 mph to 27 to 28 mph, but don't much matter as I don't own a oil well! Good luck!

Comment

I know I think about this as well. Our 305's have 1750 hrs on them. They are still running strong albeit the compression is not of new engines but it is consistent in all 16 cyl. I replaced my manifolds and risers this spring. That was 1150 total, at the same time I priced 305 long blocks at 2000 a piece (350's @ 2200 ea.) Depending on your accessories,( starters, alternators, wiring harness, flex plates, trannies), I figured another 500 per engine for misc. This has you doing your own work though so having a place to swap out the intake manifolds and possibly rebuild the carbs could add. I have the Volvo setup that is a bit simpler to work on but once the engine is out of the boat it will be pretty much the same. If you go to 350's you will have to repitch your props a little as well. I estimated for my situation, since I want to up date some accessories, it will be 3500-3750 per engine if I do all the mechanical work and whatever the yard charges to lift them out. We are in a "dry stack" marina so our boat is on the hard all the time so I don't have that cost.

Comment

I am curious if the 4.3 liter vortecs would pencil out. Fuel injection would be very nice.

Comment

If I were in a position to either rebuild or re power I would seriously consider the EFI 4.3s. As long as you don't want to travel very fast they should be a very good choice. They are dependable, lighter and smaller than the V8s. and not extremely expensive to buy. They should bolt up to your existing gear boxes and you shouldn't have to change the prop pitch much. Economy in the 7 to 12 knot range should be as good as you are going to get with almost any gas engine.

Comment

RJH wrote:
                If I were in a position to either rebuild or re power I would seriously consider the EFI 4.3s. As long as you don't want to travel very fast they should be a very good choice. They are dependable, lighter and smaller than the V8s. and not extremely expensive to buy. They should bolt up to your existing gear boxes and you shouldn't have to change the prop pitch much. Economy in the 7 to 12 knot range should be as good as you are going to get with almost any gas engine.
                Hum. Well with only 700 hours I hope to reboat not repower but one never knows. My economy is not horrible as long as I'm not tempted to do 20 plus knots. Then, it's horrible.

Comment

RJH wrote:
                  +1 (if I had a gas boat) - love those engines...

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Has anyone repowered with 4.3s ? Will the tranny match up to Thayer engine for sure. My boat has the Chris craft marinized engines.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X