Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I access the back of the DC distribution panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Rippy45 View Post
    So I have recently installed new inverter and was checking AC outlets, foound the one at the microwave only producing 100 volts on shore or boat power, it has a seperate breaker in main panel, I think it maybe the breaker and a subsitution test will tell, however where in the greater Seattle area do you find breakers for a 1992 3288, hoping for some 20 amp
    Thanks
    Ray
    This is an old thread regarding DC issues, best to start a new one pertaining to your AC issues. Fisheries supply will have what you need.
    Welcome to the club😉

Leave a comment:

• Rippy45
    replied
    So I have recently installed new inverter and was checking AC outlets, foound the one at the microwave only producing 100 volts on shore or boat power, it has a seperate breaker in main panel, I think it maybe the breaker and a subsitution test will tell, however where in the greater Seattle area do you find breakers for a 1992 3288, hoping for some 20 amp
    Thanks
    Ray

Leave a comment:

• mattkab
    replied
    So to be clear, that picture of the panel is one that I found on the web, so I don't have that box (and don't know what it is), but otherwise is an exact duplicate. I do have both screws on the spring mount.

"Disasemble by pulling the rear of the hinge with your finger and the hinge comes apart"
    I didn't know this! I'm going to try it this weekend!

"NOTE: if this is a new to you boat take the time to go over ALL the connections behind your black breaker panel . Pay special attention to the high voltage incomming . Tighten everything as you will definatly find some loose connections"
    Good point, I will do so.

I have a new 30amp SS shore power connecor that I need to install, and I still want to debug the rope lights.

Leave a comment:

• steelwrk1
    replied
    Hello,

If Identical to my 2001 remove the screw or screws as mentioned above on the top of the black breaker panel .

The yellow box is not on my boat so as mentioned above it needs to go.

Remove the bottom screw only on spring mount to cabinet and leave off. (marked as part # 1 above)

When opening swivel up (using remaining screw as an axel pin ) the spring mounting bracket ( now with only the top screw installed ) pull your black breaker panel forward and allow the spring bracket to return to its position . This will give you a firm hold of your top in the open position and allow easy opening.

If you need more access then remove the glass doors. Do this in less than 30 seconds for both doors , 4 hinges. Disasemble by pulling the rear of the hinge with your finger and the hinge comes apart .

NOTE: if this is a new to you boat take the time to go over ALL the connections behind your black breaker panel . Pay special attention to the high voltage incomming . Tighten everything as you will definatly find some loose connections.

Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Pete

Leave a comment:

• Pacrimrat
    replied
    Remove the screw/screws at the top of the board that holds both the AC and DC panels. The top will tilt out to the hinges far enough to reach most of the circuit breakers. The bracket that holds the bottom of the lid spring has to come off and it looks like you have a switch (yellow box) or something that will also interfere. Not sure what that is or how easy it will be to remove.
    You may have to remove the hinges if you need to get to the bottom CB’s
    Does your lid spring bottom bracket have one or two screws? In the photo it looks like it’s missing one. The lid is very heavy and can do some damage to heads or fingers if it falls.
    Be very careful behind the panel. Turn off the AC and DC.

Leave a comment:

• mattkab
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks.

I'm a little surprised by this. Looks like another project.

I'll brainstorm a bit on how to fix this, and will update if I find something that works.

• ciaran
    replied
    Matt
    I found the same issue while working on my 1995 4788. Doors has to come off to gain full access.
    Ciaran

Leave a comment:

• How do I access the back of the DC distribution panel?

Happy New Year, BOC!

While attempting to debug why our pilothouse rope lights aren't working (since purchase) of our new-to-us 4788, I went to open the electrical distribution panel. When I first tried to open it up, it got hung up on the spring cabinet stay (Marked #1). I unscrewed the attachment point on the inside of the panel enclosure, and then the panel got caught on both door hinges (Marked #2 on the aft hinge, but also the forward one as well)

At this point, I could see the back of the panel, and with a small telescoping mirror, I could see some of the breakers. But I didn't have enough room to be comfortable reaching inside to make any changes, which I'll be doing in some of my future projects, utilizing the free breakers.. There was also a strap of webbing attached to the panel to the hull to prevent it from opening too far, but there was still a few inches of slack in it.

With everything so well designed on these boats overall, I found it hard to believe that I'd need to remove the glass doors in order to access the back of the panel.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Working...
X