Pulsing Current Cause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulsing Current Cause

While at the dock and when running two space heaters, house lights dim with each cycle of the water pump. Last winter as we lived on the boat during winter I never noticed this. We have pigtail 30 amp tieing into our 50 amp cord and the meter shows we are getting proper voltage. Any ideas?

thanks, joe
    Joe
    2001 5288
    Lucky Liner ll

Do the lights dim when the space heaters are turned off?
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's
    1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I’m assuming the heaters are 110AC and the water pump and lights are 12VDC, correct? Is the battery charger on? Do the lights dim with the heaters off?
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Voltage drop. If everything is the same check pump connections and/or brushes
        Irony
        1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

When we experienced dimming lights, I found the wire screws at the shore-power connector were not tight. You should check the integrity of the shore power connector as well as the other suggestions.

Comment

Check the connections to the house batteries and at the battery selector switches.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
              I’m assuming the heaters are 110AC and the water pump and lights are 12VDC, correct? Is the battery charger on? Do the lights dim with the heaters off?
              Id agree the "space heaters are running from AC shore power. Cabin lights and water pump run from the 12volt DC system. Look for poor connection(s) in the DC side or weak house batteries etc.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Id agree the "space heaters are running from AC shore power. Cabin lights and water pump run from the 12volt DC system. Look for poor connection(s) in the DC side or weak house batteries etc.
                +1

Turn the shore power off and see if the problem persists. If it does, check the items builderdude suggested. If the problem goes away, you may have an issue with the battery charger. Connect the shore power again, but turn the battery charger breaker off and see what happens.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA
                Isla Verde, PR

Comment

+1

if the connections are corroded you may show proper voltage but the connection will not handle the amp/current draw
                  1989 3218
                  1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
                  2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Try turning off your battery charger, and test again for dimming lights.

That will isolate the AC system from the DC system

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Ok. Good responses. I procrastinated due to holiday. Going to work it out today. Thanks everyone.
                      Joe
                      2001 5288
                      Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Some inverter-chargers, like Magnums, can be configured to limit charger output if the load on the inverter’s outlets exceed a certain value, ex. 15 amps. A heater could then cause the charger to reduce output (lower voltage). HTH
                        Mike

"Roam" - 2009 Navigator 51
                        Anacortes, WA
                        Prior 3888 owner

Comment

Do both of the plugs that you have the heaters plugged in to run through the inverter?

Most inverters only have a 30 amp transfer switch inside them.

So you have the charger running the lights and pump through the 24 volt side, along with 2 heaters,,,way more draw than 30 amps.
                          84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,05-540,, 04-411 meridian and 11 others,, all gone ,,now 04 -490 ,,sidney,,vancouver island.

Comment

Probably found it. I’m still confused however. My four 8D House batteries that are just over a year old took 6 1/2 gallons of water . I have checked the water level by monthly on these batteries and the only time it took a significant amount of water was after I installed them on the first check . We finished our summer cruise in August and at that point left two heaters running on the boat on the lowest setting, with the boat being checked regularly by a friend . To answer a previous question yes I do believe that the heaters run through the inverter to the 24 V side and this must be the culprit .

Now I’ll have to wait until I go back soon to recheck and test the batteries but I’ll bet they are toast.

Joe
                            2001 5288
                            Lucky Liner ll

Comment

One of your batteries likely had a bad cell which caused the charger to always be running and attempting to bring that battery up to the proper charge. This would cause the other batterys to be overcharged, heat up like crazy and evaporate the water. It pays to check your batteries often and monitor what the charger is doing..
                              2001 Bayliner 4788
                              Underhulls
                              Bow & Stern Thrusters
                              330 Cummins
                              Moored: Captains Cove Ladner BC

Comment

Working...
                              X