3270 anchor chain locker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3270 anchor chain locker

Has anyone made their anchor chain locker bigger? So it can hold more chain. I have 120 feet of 5/16 chain with a muir cougar (up only). Most of the time it will pile up and jam the windlass. I think the problem is It could use more free fall.

l really don't want to remove some chain if I don't have too.
    [B]Tim[/B]
    Though I Fly Through the Valley Of Death... I Shall Fear No Evil ...For I am at 80,000 feet and Climbing. (sign over the entrance to the SR-71 operating location Kadena, Japan)
    [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/10609181@N04/"]Pictures of work done on the boat[/URL]

The problem is not so much that the chain locker's too smal but that the hawsepipe dumps the chain immediately in front of the aft bulkhead of the locker. I carry 200' of 1/4" BBB chain and use a piece of curved aluminum round stock to shove the pile of chain forward as it builds up. The yellow handle makes it easy to find in the deck storage locker.

A boater I knew cut the bottom out of the chain locker to accommodate more chain; I would worry about the buildup of water and debris in the bottom without a drain hole. If he did cut a drain, it would seem to be too close to the waterline for comfort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chain stuffer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	401583
    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

I have 150'. of 8 plat with 200' of g4 1/4 galvanized. The 8 plat lays flat. how much rope do you have after the chain? What is it?

Comment

I have 200 feet of 5/16" chain. I have to knock the pile from time to time. Properly positionning the windlass is critical.
        CapMartin, Montr├®al
        "Belle de Dalhousie"
        1986 3270
        Volvo BB225B

Comment

You can cut a hole and run some pvc pipe to the cupboard under the bunk. Glass in a bulkhead.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

why not pull some chain into the deck anchor locker accessed by the hinged door on deck. I can layout a lot of extra chain there and only use it when needed. I have 135 feet of 5/16s chain and I probably keep 20 to 30 feet in the locker...I also have over 100 feet of rope connected to the chain as well.... Works good for us....

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Bob View Post
              You can cut a hole and run some pvc pipe to the cupboard under the bunk. Glass in a bulkhead.
              I did that in my last boat- a 3788. Held 350' of 1/4" chain and never piled up. Did lots of up and down since I move around a lot when fishing and rarely had to drain the glassed in locker. When I did I used a small hand pump. Worked for 20 years.
              1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now 2001- 3788

Comment

Beside using a piece of PVC pipe to shake the pile down as it comes in, I have noticed that spraying silicone on the chain on a regular basis when it's in the locker reduces the tendency of piling under the hawsepipe.
                NILE
                1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
                Fort Lauderdale Florida

Comment

Working...
                X