Teak Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teak Question

This past summer I got my teak on my 3270 looking beautiful using the cleaner, the brighter and then followed with teak oil. I reapplied the teak oil for a few weeks to build up a nice coat for winter. I went to my boat this past weekend after a few winter rains and noticed that the teak is turning. My question is, does anyone know what I can do based on the pictures, take it all the way down to bare wood again? just apply more teak even though sections look to be worn and turning brown, apply some cleaner, lightly sand the worn looking parts, etc?
    thanks for the feedback.

Try using a slightly abrasive scotch pad and powdered cleaner like Comet. Then re-coat with oil. Oil always requires maintenance, but you want to minimize using two-part cleaners as they are hard on the wood. Long-term you might research Cetol Light.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Cetol leaves a yellowish coating, I use teak oil thinned with mineral spirits for better penetration.
      Covering teak when laid up for the winter helps considerably.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Oiling teak will always attract dirt, dust and pollution. When your teak has become so worn, with peaks and valleys in the grain, it is really hard to keep it looking good.
        Nice new, bare teak, if you want to keep that look, should only be rarely cleaned, using a scotchbrite or similar ACROSS THE GRAIN, with some dishwasher powder.
        Otherwise, seal it, with varnish, lacquer or whatever, best a product with good UV filters. They vary from country to country. For example, Cetol is virtually unknown in Europe, although available. Once finished, you need to maintain the protection. I use around 10 coats of Ronseal varnish to build up a solid coating, but teak keeps living and moving, so there is ongoing upkeep.
        Oil for cheap oriental garden furniture......
        And, as mentioned above, covering up as much as possible helps, whether against Texas sun or Breton rain and wind.
        I love teak!
        A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
        Blustery Day
        Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
        Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
        Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

Cetol Original leaves an orangie colour, but Cetol Light is fairly neutral. I am surprised to read it isn't well known in Europe as it is a Sikkens product from Holland and widely distributed. The disadvantage to varnish is Cetol is soft. It can get scuffed easily. The advantage is, unlike varnish, it can be touched up often without having to sand down to bare wood. A few coats of Cetol Light top coated with Cetol Clear became my teak go-to after trying a few years of oil. There is no perfect solution to keeping teak new.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Any type of sealer like varnish or Cetol will crack and lift unless you seal all surfaces including the bottom.
            You should not put so much teak oil on the wood that you have a build up.
            If you have a build up of teak oil then wipe it with mineral spirits let dry and re-apply thinned teak oil, let it soak in and re-apply if needed.
            I have surveyed enough boats to know that I would never use Cetol.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The photo's show that the teak is severely weathered, the soft part of the grain has eroded, it needs to be sanded smooth prior to re-finshing.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

For better or worse, my plan is to use Epifanes clear gloss. I plan to dilute the first coat 50%, the second coat 25% then 10% on the third and go two or more beyond that. The po did a one coat job before I bought it and except for the rail caps I’ve just let it go. I tried oil on the rail caps, but am not thrilled with the results.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                  For better or worse, my plan is to use Epifanes clear gloss. I plan to dilute the first coat 50%, the second coat 25% then 10% on the third and go two or more beyond that. The po did a one coat job before I bought it and except for the rail caps I’ve just let it go. I tried oil on the rail caps, but am not thrilled with the results.
                  Be sure to seal the edge where it meets the fiberglass to prevent moisture from lifting the coating.
                  That cap around the cockpit is easy to remove if you wish to seal the backside.
                  Just drill a small hole in the plug and use a screw to pull it out, stubborn ones can be removed using a small screwdriver and chip away from the center.
                  That way you can seal the bottoms, I did that to one 3870 and had excellent results.
                  For those boats that need the wood replaced one can use Cumuru or IPE from Advantage lumber online, much more cost effective than teak, better looking wood at that, and reasonable pricing.
                  I used Cumuru on my 3870 aft deck combing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Lwifn97at4TrBx

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I think the best think is to throw out the 2 part cleaner
                    It basically eats the cells of the wood soft parts first leaving the high ridges where the grain is denser
                    made a mistake of using it two times before I saw what it did
                    suggest you use a wood scrapper and sandpaper Once the wood is even and smooth re do with varnish

Comment

This company gives a great example of refinishing teak, ironically on a Bayliner pilothouse. You might gain some insight here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNz16sRdpFY

Comment

Orbital sander, then Daly's SeaFin sealer. I have tried it all, and this product gives very good results. Your teak has reached that point where some material needs to be removed as mentioned above.

Comment

Bring it back to its natural condition with someting similar to this:

Use step 2 if necessary.
                          Do not sand unless really necessary.
                          THEN:
                          Outside: 5 coats of Cetol marine, gloss, regular, teak or lite (I prefer regular). One quick recoat (no sanding) every year.
                          Inside: 3 coats of the same. Recoat when needed.
                          Done.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	401451
                          Attached Files
                          CapMartin, Montr├®al
                          "Belle de Dalhousie"
                          1986 3270
                          Volvo BB225B

Comment

If this was my boat I would replace the wood, I cannot remember if you have a transom door on this model but:
                            Look at this web site for replacement wood, you can use your old wood as a pattern, not hard to do, they even have matching wood plugs for the screws.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Lwifn97at4TrBx

They have decking and lumber, look up lumber, not nearly as expensive as teak. Cumuru lumber.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Photo of cumuru on my cockpit combing

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                              Twin 350 GM power
                              Located in Seward, AK
                              Retired marine surveyor