Output Shaft Seal: 4588

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Output Shaft Seal: 4588

Has anyone had success in replacing their transmission output shaft seal? Hino 220. There is ATF below the motor and the leak seems to be at that seal. Thanks in advance.

Not hard to do, remove the bolts on the coupler, mark the coupler and flange so it can be bolted back in the same position, slide the shaft back.
    Remove the nut on the transmission flange, slide the flange off ( have a drip pan to catch the fluid, pull the seal out and replace it.
    Reverse the order for re-assembly.
    Sometimes you may need to jack up the tranny to clear the shaft coupler, in that case you need to loosen the rear mounts.
    At-least that is how I do it, and will do mine this next spring.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• jeff_perfater
      jeff_perfater commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Pat, now I need to get a breakaway diagram so I can order the right parts.

Go online and have your model number and gear ration handy.
    I buy min on ebay, buy some seals are standard sizes, a bearing shop may have them.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

After some research, it looks like the transmissions that are coupled with the Hino EH700T in 1989 is a Hurth HSW630A

Comment

There should be a tag on the transmission.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I will say this, the guy who wants to charge me $940 to put in that seal says that the shaft on the 4588 only comes out two inches, which is the cause for the extra expense...seems he feels he'll need to jack up the motor to gain access....seems strange to me.

Comment

You need enough to get a socket on the nut for the engine side. So, then jack it up to remove the transmission output flange.
            It is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour job.for someone who knows what they are doing.
            You will always need to check the alignment after dropping the aft end of the transmission back into place, this should always be done in the water after 24 hours.
            You need to give the hull time to settle back in from the water pressure.
            Tell that $940.00 guy good by.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Seals will leak because of being run dry, age, or shaft wobble from worn bearings.
              After removing the prop shaft coupling bolts, be sure to try moving the transmission coupling half up and down to check the bearing condition.
              There should be no movement at all.
              2001 Bayliner 4788
              Underhulls
              Bow & Stern Thrusters
              330 Cummins
              Moored: Captains Cove Ladner BC

Comment

Working...
              X