4588: Radar Arch Considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588: Radar Arch Considerations

I'll be transporting our new (to us) 4588 from Savannah to Lake Lanier in GA for a long slow restoration process. With the knowledge that the radar arch will have to come down for transportation, I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to just leave it behind and focus on a hardtop like Destiny_4588's (pictured). Or can I rehab the existing arch on my own? In the cost consideration, there is also no current bimini top, so that would also need to be replaced if I were to rehab the arch.

my 1989 4550 had a lot of rot in the arch. I decided to build one out of stainless and so it had hinges so i could get into a covered stall. I am very happy with the result. This was professionally done by a shop in Bellingham washington state.

Comment

I we remove discard and do the hard top. The cost to repair that arch was very high and you get so much more been fit from the ard top (more space for stuff ie solar panels like we have, anntennas, ect) plus not canvas bimini to maintain, or rattle around, more shade keeps boat cooler, better water protection in rain as hard top take the rain vs bimini, our hard top is much larger in sizes then the bimini was so lots of shade/rain protection also way easier to fish wires and mount stuff plus you get lights under it.

As a side note we repaired our arch 20 years back and it was never right and only got worse as time and upgrades grew only wish we did it when we first move our boat and took it off, the cost to remove, transport, repair, reinstall were high back then can only imagine how much it would be today
      Mark
      USCG OUPV
      1990 4588
      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I fixed our rotten 45xx arch over a winter as a garage project. The boat was in covered moorage and I was able to throw a line over an overhead beam and undo the four bolts that attach the arch to the boat and lift the arch off the boat. My two sons and I then carried it to a rented U-Haul truck for the trip home. Replacing the rotten wood wasn't hard and using copious amounts of West System epoxy made the arch strong. I then put new gel coat on the outside using a roller then sanded and polished to a nice shine. All-in-all, not an expensive or hard project but it did take some time. And I learned a lot about doing gel coat as I sanded through it several time and had to reapply before I finally got it right. Rebuilding the covering out of plywood and covering with foam and vinyl also wasn't hard and kind of fun. If you have the time and skills then give it a go. The worst that can happen is that you decide to go with the hard top.

Cheers,
        Jim V.

Comment

Working...
        X