3988 Fuel gauges on fly bridge-gctid401523

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 Fuel gauges on fly bridge-gctid401523

My 2000 3988 only has fuel gauges only on the lower helm... can I add some to the upper helm without making it a major project... or just move the existing gauges up ?

Sure, why not?
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Certainly you can do that. However, if you're doing something that requires you to keep a weather eye on the fuel gauge, you probably shouldn't be doing that.

That is, you should have sufficient fuel on board for your journey and not need to watch the gauge.

Comment

I think you will need to change the tank senders to a 2 station version.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

They are at lower station for a reason.

One - much easier to check when refueling

two - boat is sitting more or less level at rest so the accuracy is better
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

If you have a NMEA 2000 bus on your boat, Maretron makes a neat level adapter(TLA100) that you just connect two wires to each of your lower fuel gauges and your fuel levels will be displayed on your bridge chart plotter via NMEA 2000. If you don't have a bus, building a NMEA 2000 backbone is relatively simple.

Comment

kwb wrote:
              They are at lower station for a reason.

One - much easier to check when refueling

two - boat is sitting more or less level at rest so the accuracy is better
              I guess that makes perfect sense. There have been times that I've had the throttles down for a bit on the flybridge and wondered "how much fuel have I used?". This spring I was going about 40 miles and by accident was only drawing from one tank. Made it all the way to the marina and the engines started stalling...because I emptied the tank. Doh. Note to self......

Comment

Working...
              X