Hino 250 oil capacity and weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hino 250 oil capacity and weight

I have a 1996 3988 with the 250 HP Hino diesels. I am not on the boat and do not have the owne'rs manual with me. What is the oil capacity and what it is the recommended oil weight to use? The boat is kept in Puget Sound.

Thanks in advance.

EH700TI is or should be about the same as the EH700 at 2.75 gallons, so probably about three with the turbo. Now for the great oil controversy. IMHO, if you can find what’s been historically used in the engines, stay with that. I’m using Delo 400 SDE 15-40 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZWD73M...H799PWAO&psc=1 as recommended, after Amsoil, by Earl the Baylinerguru. Costco has a similar oil with a slightly different letter spec, LE I think, but I can’t seem to find out what the difference would be for our engines. I know a lot of owners here use it. The other seemingly main choice is Rotella. Since my engines had Delo historically, I’ve stayed with it.
    Btw, on the oil filter cover there is a drain at the bolt end. It makes it a lot less messy when used. Ask me how I know. Don’t forget to clean inside the slinger too. I’m in Everett at Dagmar’s.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Manual says either 30 or 40 or 15-40. Delo or Rotella are well regarded.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

2.5 gallons + a splash (depends on how well you got the old oil out) I use Amsoil 30 weight.
        Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDoc View Post
          I have a 1996 3988 with the 250 HP Hino diesels. I am not on the boat and do not have the owne'rs manual with me. What is the oil capacity and what it is the recommended oil weight to use? The boat is kept in Puget Sound.

Thanks in advance.
          Hello Dirtdoc,

Your 1996 250 hp Hino's are the WO6 series which have a single spin on oil filter. Your high oil level should be 10.5 qts and the low oil level is right about 7.5 qts (US) from empty.
          These engines do not like to be overfilled so fill and wait 20 minutes before checking the sticks.
          It would be best if you could source a handbook or engine workbook for all your required information.
          Northport NY

Comment

Smitty! You da man! DirtDoc, Smitty is much more familiar with the editions of the Hinos than I. I use an iPad and have found electronic copies of most all of my boat and parts manuals on it. It makes it really easy to go shopping for the right part number without having to go to the boat.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your help with oil capacity and weight. I will post another question about cooling system capacity, transmission capacity etc. on the Forum shortly.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X