4788 Navigation light problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Navigation light problem

We were out on the boat last night for the Christmas parade and about half way through the tour, my navigation lights went out (both bow red/green and stern white). Navigation switch indicator was still on, breaker was ok, compass light still on.... so i wrapped on the stern light (which I replaced this summer with an Aqua Signal) and on it came. Problem is, my bow light wouldn't come back on. Has anyone had this happen before? I'm mystified that both went out at the same time, being that I just replaced my stern light this summer. Bow light is original.

Here are my questions...

1. I was going to replace my bow nav light and was wondering if anyone had or knew of an upgraded version that they were pleased with?

2. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is this more likely a ground problem, being that both lights went out at the same time?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Jason
    Jason M.
    Bellevue, Washington
    4788 "Third Day"
    Cummins 330's

Both going out could be a coincidence. It could be corrosion on the contacts or a bad bulb. Check the bulbs and the contacts on all your nav lights. Use a voltmeter to check for current at the contacts.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

I would start with a voltmeter behind the dash, and work out from there.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        I would start with a voltmeter behind the dash, and work out from there.
        Why start at the dash? I would first start at the bulb sockets. If they have power, it's the bulbs or corrosion. If they don't have power, then the dash is the next step.
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Jason, think about changing the location of your Nav lights. It's a dopey location, I have no idea why Bayliner stuck them on the bowsprit. They are too low on the vessel to be visible in moderate seas, in fact the bowsprit can dip under water on occasion. Seal it up and relocate!

I put a relatively cheap set, above the pilothouse doors on the side roof. If your "stick light" works, you can hook into that wire. If you push on the pilothouse roof lining, you'll feel the base of the stick light and the wire probably runs across the lining to the port side. It you put your hand in the gap above door head lining valance, you'll probably feel the wire, and pull it out. After positioning your lights on the side roof above the doors, and boring a hole for the thru wire, you can run it from the starboard side light across the top of the pilothouse roof lining to the port side light wire, the splice them to the stick light wire.

Getting the wire in the roof lining, is facilitated by tying a string to a large steel washer (say 1oz weight) and "bouncing" it across the roof lining (hitting the lining with the back of your hand). Alternatively a magnet can drag the washer across the lining.

Cheers
          John H
          Brisbane QLD Aust
          "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

• Amx1kjw
            Amx1kjw commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the idea of relocating the nav lights to above the pilot house doors. This would then allow me to do somethings no with that weak search light. Do you have a pic. of your nav ligts?

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

Why start at the dash? I would first start at the bulb sockets. If they have power, it's the bulbs or corrosion. If they don't have power, then the dash is the next step.
          Both lights went out at the same time. That is the common point, its also really easy.

Then again tapping the light caused it to turn on, so yes a quick check at the fixture would be easy.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

A string, a washer and a magnet...... what a great idea!
            Stan
            2001 Bayliner 4788
            Underhulls
            Bow & Stern Thrusters
            Hydronic heater
            330 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Then again tapping the light caused it to turn on, so yes a quick check at the fixture would be easy.

Exactly, that indicates to me that it may not have anything to do with power getting to the fixtures.

I do many Vessel Safety Checks every year. One of the biggest problems I find is one or more navigation lights not working. In the great majority of cases the cause is corrosion at the bulb socket, or for removable pole lights, corrosion at the pole socket terminals.
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Jason,
                if you go thru the trouble of relocating your Navigation Lights ( which sounds like an excellent idea) I would spend the money on Led replacement fixtures. Hella makes a very nice set that has a 3 mile visibility. They are worth the money and you won’t ever have contact corrosion issues as they are sealed units. They are available in black or white housings.
                Gibraltar, Mi.
                1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
                34' Tollycraft- sold
                88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll be diving into it this weekend and will probably relocate the lights after I figure out what the problem is. I'll be switching over to LED and will let you all know what I end up with. I think it is likely corrosion...but I'm baffled that my new stern light is already having issues. Over and out, Jason
                  Jason M.
                  Bellevue, Washington
                  4788 "Third Day"
                  Cummins 330's

Comment

Working...
                  X