Thinking of removing the radar arch on my 1990 3888-gctid401464

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of removing the radar arch on my 1990 3888-gctid401464

Recently found the wood inside the port "leg" rotted. I can repair it or simply remove it.The bridge could be enclosed just as it is now. Has anyone removed the arch? What is the downside? Has anyone had to repair it, what kind of a project is it?

Don't know how many have removed it. Some have replaced it with a Stainless Steel version. Lots have repaired it.

I have been planning to post my re-build in the "Completed Projects" section but haven't gotten to it yet. The hardest part of the re-build was getting it off and then back on the boat. I had the marina pick mine off with the fork lift when we hauled the boat for the winter. Then I had them lift it back in place so I could bolt it on a few hours before we launched in the spring.

There are several threads that can be found by doing a search----key word 'Rotten arch"

I'll try to post my project in the next couple of days....It's gonna rain...so we won't be boating.:sorrow:

Comment

cubair wrote:
      Recently found the wood inside the port "leg" rotted. I can repair it or simply remove it.The bridge could be enclosed just as it is now. Has anyone removed the arch? What is the downside? Has anyone had to repair it, what kind of a project is it?
      I repaired mine, and posted a write up with photos. The project is dirty but technically simple. You need to allow a few days because of the cure times involved.

3 guys can remove the arch easily. To reinstall it manually, 4 guys lifting with 1 bolting up the capscrews worked great. A mast crane would make it effortless.

cubair wrote:
      What is the downside?
      I think eliminating the arch entirely (not replacing it) would seriously hurt the esthetics of the boat. It also leaves you with no place to mount RADAR, so you'll have to add a mast, and it leaves you with less-than-ideal places to mount VHF and AIS antennas. You will need to reconfigure your 360 degree white steaming and anchor lights too. And in most cases you'll have to re-locate a GPS antenna. Not a big deal but it needs to be in your work plan.

Comment

This is something I've considered simply because the arch is such a PITA if you need to move the boat on land or get the boat into a shed. Without a hard deck, we've had to use the crane to get the arch on/off. The mods to make the arch fold are the shizzle, but that looks expensive. I wonder if anyone that have gone this route might share the cost?

Going with a metal tube arch is certainly and option but also a few dollars and not much in the looks department. I can only say my next boat will not have a tall heavy radar arch.

Comment

That arch is heavy, I laid down an arch on a 3870, it was all I could bear to lower it down the the aft deck cover. If removal for repair be sure to measure th distance between the bottoms.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I would put the weight of mine when I took it down at 80-90# likely closer to 100# at reinstall after rebuilding and fixing all the stupid that was the bayliner design.

Not heavy but really freaking awkward.

Lower forward bolt mount points are ~120" for width with the top being a bit narrower.
            1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
            1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
            X