One half of my 3988 refrigerator stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One half of my 3988 refrigerator stopped working

the Starboard side of the side by side refrigerator unit stopped cooling. The coolant pipe leading to the unit in the back is cold and has a touch of ice on it. The port side unit is cold including the little freezer section.

Any my ideas of where to start? I’m thinking the termister since it’s on that unit. Not sure what else.

One compressor cools both sides. It isn't a thermostat. The compressor is wearing out and can't provide enough pressure to circulate the coolant. Your decision is replace the compressor or replace the entire unit. Let us know what you and up doing.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Thanks Bob. I’ll be going down the replace route. Just need to find ones that fit the same space.

Comment

Let us know what you use as a replacement. There are a lot of us out here with similarly aged boats and the side by sides from Nova Kool are pricy but very useful in terms of capacity.
        "Adios Dinero"
        1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
        Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

You can have the frig coolant purged and flushed, sometimes the capillary line which is very small clogs up it may need to have a fine wire run down inside it.
          My Norcold acted up and would not keep frozen in the freezer, it as purged 2 x then they cleaned the capillary line and now I cannot run the fig on full cool or everything freezes.
          I had mine worked on at the refrigeration school in Seward, AK. just prior to summer vacation, free but I tipped the 3 students $50.00 each, to buy tools.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
          X