How big of a kicker for a 3388 for trolling?-gctid401436

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big of a kicker for a 3388 for trolling?-gctid401436

The wife and I are looking at a 3388 as our next boat purchase. She likes to entertain, I like to fish and it looks like a good combo. My favorite method of fishing the salt for salmon is trolling and it looks like trolling on one engine won't be slow enough (1.5-2.5). Plus, I troll several hundred hours a year and don't like the idea of putting that many hours on a big motor for maintenance sake (or vibration issues with the 250 hp's).

Does anyone have any experience using a 4 stroke outboard for trolling one of these boats?

Thank you all,

Rob at Shilshole

My experience with an outboard on the back of a 30 foot cruiser was that it actually did not take too much power at all to get the boat doing the 1 1/2-3? Knots you are looking for. Curve steepens quickly after 2-3 knots. Lack of steerage at low speed due to small rudders with no prop wash on them seems the biggest challange on what becomes a "sailboat" in any wind. The kicker needs to steer, and being connected to the main steering at the right ratio, might even let you use your auto helm. (lots of kicker movment without too many turns on the main steering)This way you wil have both your rudders, and the the kicker turning. I bet a sail drive 10 hp would be plenty of power. Yamaha makes one.

Comment

Most people with larger boats that want to troll either use one engine at idle, or if thats too fast they install a trolling valve on one of the transmissions to slow it down to acceptable speeds.

I've never seen a larger boat with an outboard kicker. Not to say it couldn't be done, but the trolling valves are very popular.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I've seen a few 32's with 9.9 for fishing.
        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I have a 288 with a 20Hp Tohatsu 4 stroke mounted on the swimstep with a high thrust 4-blade prop. No problem moving the boat along, but on a windy day it has a tough time turning the boat particularly when headed into the wind. Winds over 15kts and I have to start up my main. Given your boat is 5 feet longer and probably 3-4000lbs heavier, it certainly won't be any better than mine...

For a bracket, I used one from Remote Troll -- R85 I think it's called. Unique design in that the mounting plate for the kicker is steered by an electric actuator that is controlled via a remote (either wired or wireless).
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

we have a 9 horse kicker on the back of ours, and prior we had a 4 horse.. each did great for trolling our 3888. It was a biatch steering when the waters where rough... but it kept us at a perfect 1.5 to 2 knots for fishing.... FISH ON...

Comment

Well thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to hash out the bs factor of a separate engine/fuel system plus the cost of an autopilot (about $5k combined) vs a trolling valve (or two to balance hours?)

I am a DIY maintenance type, what's the details on a trolling valve install?

Also, are the 250 hp Cummins 4 cyl's to shaky at idle to troll, or should I strongly consider only the 155's?

Thank you all for the replies.

Rob

Comment

Thought I'd give this a bump to see if anyone had any intel on the engine choices.

Thanks again.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                X