Starboard List : 4588

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starboard List : 4588

This 4588 is my recent purchase...when I first went to see the boat, she sat very level in the water. When I was back down at the boat a month later she appears to have a slight but noticeable list to starboard sitting at the same slip[, same condition...definitely a bit more noticeable onboard in the salon.
    Fuel levels are even, engine room and lazzarette are dry, not sure what other elements to consider in determining what is causing the list.....thoughts?

Someone with direct knowledge of the 4588 would be more helpful than me but our Defever 43 was very sensitive to fresh water imbalances. If you have outboard fresh water tanks that's where I'd look. The problem with the Defever was that once it started listing it would just get worse unless I shut off the high side tank. It was also more tender if we had on a light fuel load. When the boat was heavier it was more tolerant to weight imbalances.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Our boat lists to starboard a bit when the holding tack is full. Roughly equal to 400# far to that side. Could that be a possibility?
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Starboard list caused by:
        -- Full Black water tank
        -- Line or Fender caught on the dock pulling the boat down or lifting the boat up.
        -- more than an average quantity of adult beverages stored in the salon.
        -- Water in the Dink on the cabin Roof.
        -- Someone taking the Washer / Dryer out
        -- Someone stole your port engine....

That would be my guesses in order of possibility of whats going on.
        Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

Both the 45 and 47 have a natural list to port.
          On the 45 the galley, settee, and most of the storage is on the port side.
          Storage under the guest bunk, galley, bunk room/desk/washer, etc. all on the left.
          Where are you storing you beer and wine?

Comment

My 4087 has a port list, nearly all larger Bayliner's have some list. Unless it gets worse wouldn't worry about it. I try and put all my heavy stuff (dive gear, tools, spare whatever) on the starboard side to compensate. Machog
            1996 4087 Lazy Days
            2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
            2011 Porsche Cayman
            2010 Lexus IS 250C
            2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

my 45 had a list to starboard when I bought her. my 2 8d batteries are outboard the starboard engine on my boat which is a lot of weight. Combining that with the previous owner kept dinghy with engine on starboard side when in the chocks. I rotated the dinghy to have engine on port side when in the chocks. I see your dinghy is already mounted on your davits with engine to port though...
              Did your previous owner unload a bunch of stuff that had been on the boat at the time of your last visit? if so that definitely could have some impacts on how she sits in the water. As noted above, a lot of cabin storage is on port side which can counteract the heavy house battery weight on the starboard side. When I added extra batteries I made sure to have them either @ centerline or just to port of centerline.
              ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

Yep, holding tank full and batteries typically located on starboard side.

Comment

For what it is worth all 4588 have a starboard list, we put some trojan batteries on the port side to try to balance but that did not help as the holding tank when in use throw it off. We finally did a ballast tank that we can adjust in our stern extention we did last year and honest that was the best solution as we can control the balance of the boat at all times irrelevant of fuel, waster, eater, equipment, tender on or off, scuba gear, bait tank, etc.

just sharing the boat runs fine, the list for us was bother some when at rest (ie anchor, moor or slips) makes a huge difference having a boat level in the water when at rest....underway the boat addresses so no need for the balast when traveling we simple dump the tanks
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Jeff, i have a 4588. Just bought about 6 mos ago. If yours is similar mine, a1989, you have 2 fresh water tanks forward under the master stateroom mattress.
                    Besides, as discussed with the batteries,holding tank ,etc, on the starbord side aft, the second fresh water tank, about 60 gallons is on the starboard side. my forward tank ,130 gallons, is midships forward of that tank and is on centerline. 60 gal water plus batteries plus 'liquid refreshments' on right is a lot of weight. You do have the 'frig' on slight port with food and possibly more 'refreshing liquids'.
                    My boat had been sitting for a while and when I opened the faucets to pumped out those tanks I thought I was pumping 'black water' (read smell). If you take out the tank quantity sending units to replace them do not get a flashlight and look in the tank. Extra-terrestrial stuff is living in there. (Clorox is cheep)
                    If you find someplace to rebuild those 3 compressor units (split systems) port of the left engine (my boat is gas don't know about diesel) let me know. You will not like the price of new ones.
                    Best to you on the project.
                    Sealord
                    (callsign of the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany ( CVA-34)in days gone by.

Comment

Be careful when putting Clorox, or any chlorine, in the aluminum tanks. There was (is) an extensive thread about the pitting and even perforating the tanks on this forum several years ago. The chlorine will react with the AL. There was some discussion about the advantages of hydrogen peroxide as a sanitize r but I don't know the rations. As I recall, it was in about the 2012 time frame.

Also, back then there was a guy with a 45xx in Italy with the same problem; Starboard list. As I recall, Foster gave the same diagnosis then as he recently has on here (eg: excess beverages, stolen engine). Perhaps he recalls the final cause of the problem...?
                      1991 4588
                      SE Michigan

Comment

add to list: check fuel levels too.... sometimes people add diesel heater that runs off say in your case the port fuel tank. This could cause you to use fuel from the port tank and cause your boat to list. Also check to see if you are drawing engine fuel from the port tank for both engines... One last consideration: if you have underhulls installed, one of them could be absorbing water and providing less floatation. good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X