38xx Mid Cabin Mattress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38xx Mid Cabin Mattress

The mid cabin mattress was removed when I purchased my 3870 recently and I need to put in a mattress for the grand kids or other guests. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced this mattress and is there an inexpensive alternative to having a mattress custom made for the odd shaped dimensions of this platform?
    1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
    Twin Hino 175's NA
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

The factory "mattress" was just a slab of foam that was covered with material. We added a memory foam topper to both beds to make them much more comfortable. These can be purchased at most of the discount centers. They can be trimmed with a sharp knife. A custom made mattress is the most expensive option. Serta makes a nice 3" topper.
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Sunbird is 100% correct, the mattresses were just foam.

The foam can be replaced easially. There is a company online http://sailrite.com that sells premium quality foam in several densities.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Years ago when memory foam mattresses were new, I purchased one and tried to sleep on it for a week before sending it back. Once I was in the bed, I couldn't roll over because the mattress sunk in around my body and I was trapped. I vowed to never get another memory foam mattress again but maybe the technology has gotten better. Maybe a firm foam mattress will do the job. The previous owner had a custom mattress made for the vee berth for almost $3000 and that is very comfortable but I think a foam mattress will be OK for the kids who are just a comfortable sleeping on a floor sometimes.
        1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
        Twin Hino 175's NA
        Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Comment

When we bought or 38 in 2016 I couldn’t figure out what the two strange shaped chunks of foam under the master bunk were, then, after finding the plywood inserts, the lightbulb came on. Having the insert in two pieces would make it much easier to move around and store than a one piece that’s larger than the table.
          Go to a real foam supplier, not a JoAnns, so that you get a medium or denser foam. You can get fancy and do a 2” high density with an inch of medium glued to the top of it like we did for our previous boat.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

WI purchased a piece of 3" foam and cut to fit, then added a memory foam topper, If you roll a memory foam up and leave it for the winter it will crack, mine did, I glued it back together.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

An electric carving knife works great on cutting and shaping foam mattresses. Not just for turkeys anymore!
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ
              sigpic
              2000 Bayliner 2858
              "GETAWAY"
              MMSI: 338094599
              In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/
                Bill
                1993 3888 with Hino 210s
                2005 Selene 55

Comment

Your best bet is to go to Ikea and choose a foam mattress you are comfortable on. Using an electric carving knife, cut it to fit your application. I had my wife resize the mattress cover on our sewing machine. You now have a proper engineered mattress that will last a lifetime. This is the one we bought. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/pr...185/#/20272189
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
                    Your best bet is to go to Ikea and choose a foam mattress you are comfortable on. Using an electric carving knife, cut it to fit your application. I had my wife resize the mattress cover on our sewing machine. You now have a proper engineered mattress that will last a lifetime. This is the one we bought. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/pr...185/#/20272189
                    I like the Ikea idea because I can test it in the store to see if the medium firm or the firm is better. Thanks
                    1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
                    Twin Hino 175's NA
                    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Comment

Oh, heck! I thought as a new owner you were calling the salon conversion a “mid cabin”. You mean the guest stateroom next to the galley,
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                      MMSI 367770440
                      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

• DVF2001
                        DVF2001 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry, wrong terminology. Yes, the guest stateroom. I haven't tried to figure out the salon conversion yet. I'll start learning all the intricacies of the boat in the spring.
                    Working...
                    X