3270 Cockpit lights not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3270 Cockpit lights not working

12v Lights above table and the two on the port side padded panel have been randomly shutting of then turning back on. Now they wont turn on at all. Before I start tracing wires, is this a common problem and common fix???

Thanks
    Last edited by ksanders; 12-20-2017, 08:02 AM.
    Santa Cruz CA
    "Molly Ray "
    1981 -3270
    Volvo AQ140's

Not an expert but surely sounds like something likely loose at the switch or at the fuse. Wiggle the switch a bit to see if something happens. Same at the fuse. Haven't heard about this being a problem before. Will be standing by for some other more expert input.
    Ned Porges / Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by seanV18 View Post
      12v Lights above table and the two on the port side padded panel have been randomly shutting of then turning back on. Now they wont turn on at all. Before I start tracing wires, is this a common problem and common fix???

Thanks
      sounds like a fuse or bad connection at the fuse block. Sometimes just turning the fuse in the holder will create a connection. Go give all the fuses a little turn.

"Martini's Law"
      1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
      Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

A couple of the lights in the aft cabin on our 4087 intermittently quit. It felt like the bulb was loose in the socket, so I slightly bent the bulb pins and replaced. So far it worked.

Comment

Sean,
          Now that they won't turn on at all it make the problem easier to find.More then likely they fed the table lights first and then went to the port side panel. Y ..ou have lost the ground or the 12vdc hot. Start at the switch. Connect a volt meter to ground and see if you have 12vdc at both sides of the switch. If you do take the bulb out above the table and with the meter still connected to the same ground verify if you have 12vdc at the fixture. If you do then move the ground from the meter to the other fixture terminal. In this manner you can determine if you lost the hot side or the ground side. If you don't have voltage at the switch move back to the fuse or breaker that feeds the switch.
          Gibraltar, Mi.
          1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
          34' Tollycraft- sold
          88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
          14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Those old fuse blocks need to be replaced. By the way, you can get LED's that fit those old style light fixtures. I looked and looked for something to replace the whole light with and never found anything.

All the advice is correct. Check 12v at light, at switch and at fuse.

Comment

On my 3270, the switches are above the windows on the right side just as you come in the door. The power comes from the fuze block behind the wheel and the wires are blue. It is pretty easy to check the fuze block with a volt meter.
              jim
              1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Thanks you guys for all the tips!

I cant wait to head down to the harbor this weekend and apply the knowledge.
                Santa Cruz CA
                "Molly Ray "
                1981 -3270
                Volvo AQ140's

Comment

I had the same problem on my boat. It turned out to be the fuse block. When wiggling the fuse the lights would go on and off. Because access is so poor (the fuse is far to starboard side of access panel in head) I had to use a jumper to another fuse. Once that was done I never had any further problems. While having an insurance survey the surveyor felt heat on the dash when all the cabin lights were on. Right away I knew it was the bad connection at the fuse block. It is a dark blue wire and I think the fuse is second from the end of the bottom row (to starboard).
                  George
                  "Delphin"
                  '89 3270, 135 HP Hinos
                  Victoria, BC
                  Member:
                  Capital City Yacht Club
                  Oak Bay Power & Sail Squadron

Comment

SO I ran down tonight and looked under the dash for the 12v fuses and saw none. Perhaps I missed it, I just had a minute for a quick glance in poor lighting. Where is this fuse block ?

Thanks
                    Santa Cruz CA
                    "Molly Ray "
                    1981 -3270
                    Volvo AQ140's

Comment

There is an access hatch in the head adjacent to the steering wheel. Open it up a look towards the left. Two sets of fuse blocks are located on the starboard side above the shifters.
                      "Martini's Law"
                      Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Will do, thank you! Had her for 10 years now and have never needed to fiddle with the fuses before.
                        Santa Cruz CA
                        "Molly Ray "
                        1981 -3270
                        Volvo AQ140's

Comment

Originally posted by seanV18 View Post
                          Will do, thank you! Had her for 10 years now and have never needed to fiddle with the fuses before.
                          WOW! I installed an led strip with a mercury switch because I' m in there so often.
                          "Martini's Law"
                          Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

One of the fuse blocks is powered from the house batteries and is on as long as the house batters are on. The other needs the ignition to be on before it has power. Sorry can’t remember which is which. I once chased a no power problem for a couple of days before I discovered this.
                            Jim
                            1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Working...
                            X