3988 250 Hino smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 250 Hino smoke

Hello We have a 1996 3988 with twin Hino 250's. Upon start up I'm noticing more blue smoke than normal. The engines operate well and we achieve full 3000 RPM, after about 10 minutes the smoke goes away and we have no overheating issues. We run our boat regularly so it does not sit for long periods, filters are fresh with clean bowls. and no excessive oil use. Previously we had a 3288 with 150's with almost no smoke ever. What do you all see on start up with your 250's and any ideas as to what the cause is. When we first bought the boat 2 years ago it did not smoke as it does now. We have about 880 hours on each motor. Thank-you for your input!!

Most likely your injectors are worn and need rebuilding, could be caused from age or water getting past the filters. The clearance between the plunger and the body is very very small and when they become worn and the fuel is not atomised very well which shows up as excessive smoke when cold. When the engine warms up the internal clearances tighten up, compression ratio rises, combustion temperatures rise and smoke diminishes. Rebuilt injectors are every bit as good as new ones so don't waste your money, call your local Kenworth or similar truck repair shop and find out who rebuilds injectors for them. If you are handy with wrenches, injectors are easy to remove, The fuel injection shop will test the spray pattern and that incicates wether the iinjector is good or bad. Most shops will let you see the results on the test bench.
    2001 Bayliner 4788
    Underhulls
    Bow & Stern Thrusters
    330 Cummins
    Moored: Captains Cove Ladner BC

Comment

• RAVEN_SONG
      RAVEN_SONG commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank-you so much for your note, this seems to make sense. Looks like some engine room time is in store....

If you search on YouTube for 3587 Smokey I posted vids a couple of years back. I had the exact same issue as your OP and I know the boat has not had any work done in 2 years and still runs alike a top. It’s annoying and I noticed it in the cold. Gone in the summer. Will try to find the links to the vids
    BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Comment

Comment

My 250's smoke at start up an goes away when they are warm. Not much smoke in the summer. A set of block heaters would reduce this I am sure. I had them on my last set of CAT 3208's. HUGH difference when the block heaters were left on before a start up. Has anyone put Block heaters on there Hinos ???
          CPT.BLAIR
          1994 OCEAN 48' Super Sport w/ 775hp Detroits, Hampton, VA
          1983 HATTERAS 43' DCMY w/ 410hp Detroits, Richmond, VA

1993 4387 w/ 250 Hinos - Hampton, VA, SOLD
          1996 3388 w/ 150 Cummins - Richmond, VA, SOLD
          1989 Sea Ray 390 w/454 Mercruisers SOLD
          1983 3288 w/ 3.8 Chevy V6 gassers SOLD
          1984 3870 w/ 135 Mits SOLD

Comment

• RAVEN_SONG
            RAVEN_SONG commented
            Editing a comment
            How much smoke do you see and how long does it last?? Is it blue? Thanks for your response!
            Trevor

how long do you have the block heaters on for before starting?

Comment

Working...
          X