New Salon Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Salon Heater

Well after talking about it for several years I got around to installing a new electric heater in the salon.
    I removed the TV when I bought the boat 14 years ago and installed a projection unit with a 6 foot screen and Dolby surround sound. So the TV cabinet ended up as food storage. It was so deep that things got lost in the back.
    So last summer I redesigned the cabinet, fabricated and installed drawers and an LED fireplace with a quartz heater. I used the AC circuit from the original electric heater that I removed from under the sink.
    The mod heats the salon very nicely and the LED fire is very aesthetic.
    The addition of the drawers provides much better utilization of the space.

Great idea, thanks for sharing.
    2001 Bayliner 4788
    Underhulls
    Bow & Stern Thrusters
    330 Cummins
    Moored: Captains Cove Ladner BC

Comment

Great idea! Would love to know the make and model of the fireplace, that same upgrade is somewhere in my future.

Comment

Would love to see how you set up the projector!! Please post pics of that too. Thanks!

Comment

Great idea and execution!
          2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
          Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
          Sanger wakeboard boat
          volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

LED Fireplace.
            https://www.dimplex.com/en/electric_...ectric_firebox

Sorry I don't have any photos of the projector and I'm in Singapore so it will be a few months before I'm back on the boat.
            Basically I just made a box to hold the projector and mounted it above the couch on the starboard side and the screen on the port side. I modified the equipment cabinet to take a 12" sub-woofer, pre-amp and 300 disk DVD changer. All a bit out dated now. Better to use a hard drive for movies. I mounted Bose cubes for the speakers.

Comment

Very nicely done! Gives me ideas
              Have you noticed much heat from the fireplace-heater unit in the drawer behind? Did you just install the standard kit or add any additional shielding beyond a ply separator for the drawers?
              Dave
              Chesapeake Boater
              2001 Bayliner 4788, "Adagio"

Comment

Originally posted by ddorsett View Post
                Very nicely done! Gives me ideas
                Have you noticed much heat from the fireplace-heater unit in the drawer behind? Did you just install the standard kit or add any additional shielding beyond a ply separator for the drawers?
                Dave,

Zero heat on the back, sides and top of the fireplace box. I made ½” ply boxes for the bottom and rear drawers. The heater has high and low settings and pumps the heat out the top front of the unit. The wood counter top trim sticks out over the heat outlet and it doesn’t even get hot.
                I have about an inch clearance between the rear of the unit and the rear drawer box. Intake air draws in from the bottom between the top of the black drawer box and the bottom of the unit, up the back and into the heater intake at the top. This unit is about 8” deep.

I bought a small Bluetooth speaker that we put under or in the bottom drawer. I have a fireplace app on my phone that gives fire crackling sounds.

Chris
                Last edited by Pacrimrat; 12-29-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Woodsea
                  Woodsea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is really cool!
              Working...
              X