5788 salon door help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5788 salon door help

My salon door (exit to cockpit) is a little messed up. Bouncing a little, scraping and hard to close there are little ball bearings in the bottom runner. Anyone know where to get parts and any idea how you remove the door to inspect?
    pics below of door and bottom of door.
    BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Simbad, your pictured door looks the same as the 47 pilot house doors and are certainly different to the latter model Meridian 580. The rollers are at each end of the black base carriage holder. The holes on the bottom end edges are for a long Allen key that allows vertical height adjustment of the door to keep the carriage mechanism/roller on and clear of the track. It sounds like your roller wheels have fallen apart/collapsed with ball bearings loose, hence it is grinding/sliding along the track without rolling wheels.

So, find an Allen key that will fit thru the hole and in the head of the "elevator screw head" adjustment screw/bolt and see if it will turn and raise the door on the track. Chances are it'll be rusted/frozen from rain/salt etc. I can't see from your pic, but I believe there is a cover strip bar on the front of the track, held in place by 6-8 black pan head screws. Removing that cover strip will allow you to ultimately lift the door up and tilt the door bottom out. Those screws are best removed by a "rattle" screw gun as they can be frozen in place too.

The black "carriage bar/rail" at the base of the door should have 2 screws (1 at each end) that hold the bar in place at the bottom of the door. I've had to leave the door in place (because I couldn't get all the screws out of the cover strip) and tilt the black carriage bar out towards you. A gemme/small wrecking bar helps to lever the door up enough to get the carriage rail to tilt out. Once the carriage rail is out you can get the wheel mechanism out of both ends and figure out a repair strategy. I believe the wheels on the 47 pilot house doors are 1 1/2" diameter but you can measure yours when they are out. I've bought them from Ace Hardware (in their speciality draw section). There are nylon or stainless wheels either there or online.

There used to be some threads on pilot house door wheel replacement that may help. Not sure if/what the search facility will turn up on the new platform. You can either use the same wheel holder and carefully drill out or replace the axle pin (or even reuse the old axle pin if you are careful, just replacing the roller/wheel) or find a new replacent wheel holder.

Good luck with it.
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks i’ll try that tomorrow. I found the old threads. But the links in them are dead. Real shame

Comment

I had posted a few photos on this thread: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...er-replacement. Unfortunately, they were not brought over to the new BOC site. I'll see if I can find them.

Once the door is off you will be able to remove the roller carriers. Keep in mind that the door is heavy; you may want a second person there to help you remove it. Based on my experience and that of others here, some roller axles are staked on both sides of the carriers, while others are only staked on one side. If staked at both sides, you will need to drill out the staking and replace the axles, as I described in the above thread.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA
          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Yeah I found that thread before I posted. But such a shame the photos are now gone.
            Came to the boat but it’s blowing like mad. Just gave her a bath to get some black streaks off and i’m Knackered so the door will have to wait until I get time. But thanks for the pointers and i’ll Koop back when I get the door off. Not quite following the instructions but guess it will make more sense when I see it taken apart. It’s funny the door was working great but for some reason every time inolwn d it I expected it to kaput and now it has.
            Weird.

Back to the whiskey, my reward for cleaning the boat sitting her while the waves slam the hull. Bizarrely calming.

Few pics of Seattle Xmas parade on my blog....

Comment

Ok getting close but no idea how to get the metal hosing for the wheel out. Don’t see any screws. The Allen key is backed out but the metal housing or carrier case is just there and I can’t see how it’s attached or how to remove?

Comment

Well, you've made considerable progress. If I remember correctly, the wheel holder U mechanism pretty much just sits there held tightly in place by the carriage walls. The Allen head bolt allows the wheel holder to adjust and move up/down in the space. The wheel holder LHS edge looks distorted and rusted in there so there probably wouldn't be any adjustment movement. I'd flood the wheel holder area with WD40 and gently try to lever it up recreating the movement the bolt adjustment would make. The wheel holder may still be savagable but the one in the pic looks like it's jammed the wheel in place, hence it is not revolving and been dragged along the track. McMaster may have replacement wheel holders. Google sliding door wheel holders and see what you get. See if there are any brand insignia or trade names etc on the sides of the holder when you get it loose and out of the rail. If you can't get the new holder with stainless wheels, try the nylon or reg steel and heaps of grease in the ball bearing guides.

When the time comes to refit, use plenty of waterproof grease on the walls of the carriage, the wheel itself and the thread. Hope this assists. Cheers
                John H
                Brisbane QLD Aust
                "Harbor-nating"

Comment

Simbad, on further thought, there may be thru screw that holds/anchors the end of the wheel holder in place. I remember there were some screws that hold a rubber guide/spacer in place that had to be removed and I think the holding screw is thru the rail into the spacer. In fact I believe I can see the thru screw thread in the pic in the channel in front of the wheel. It's been a while since I did the doors. Cheers
                  Last edited by higgins_jr; 12-18-2017, 05:21 PM. Reason: More info
                  John H
                  Brisbane QLD Aust
                  "Harbor-nating"

Comment

I did it. So psyched. Will do a full write up tonight. Thanks so much for your help. Ended up going with some new rollers and drilled through the frame. Ditched all the old stuff. Works a treat. Better than ever. Took a bunch of pics so I can reincarnate your old thread

Comment

Awesome.... I just saw your thread... I rebuilt my rollers and found that if you remove the side plate the door comes off easily. And as I remember, the rollers are held in by a through bolt. I look forward to your write up...

BJ
                      OMEGA
                      BJ
                      OMEGA

Comment

OK be gentle as I am the perfect example of the amateur mechanic but just posted pics and steps on my blog at www.seattleboater.com if anyone wants to refer to it as a reference.

Direct link here....

Comment

You're getting really good at playing mechanic, Simeon! Now I know who to call when my slider door goes on the fritz....
                          2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                          Seattle, WA

Comment

No problem Bong. My fees are commensurate with my skills so only $10 an hour. Just takes me 10 hours to finish a job haha

Comment

Working...
                            X