3988 generator hatch repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 generator hatch repair

Our hatch over the genny is soft, so as a winter project I was planning on tearing down for a rebuild. I started to gut the hatch remove all the wood and start over with new Marine plywood, resin, glass etc... when I started taking it apart it was soaked with water. And in the center you’ll notice a type of green foam, similar as used with fake flowers. Has anyone completed this Project? I was thinking of just doubling the plywood there and Reglassing. The foam is hard they must have soaked it with a penetrating epoxy.
    New to me 1998 bayliner 3988 Cummins

Must be the only person to have this issue.

Comment

I have torn apart a lot of stuff to fix rot in the core - what I will do is use a very course grinder disc (24grit) to knock out the stuff that doesn't basically fall out and take that to semi-regular shape that new core material can be cut to fairly easily trying to get gaps 1/8"-1/2" wide trying for about 1/4" (more on that in a couple steps).

Then I will make a wet mat bed to place new core into making sure to not get voids between back side of core and the wet mat. once that is stitting in place I pile every heavy thing I can find up on the core and let it cure.

After it has cured I will use filler to fill gaps between new and old core making sure to push filler all the way into depth of the gap (that is why at least 1/4" gap) let that cure

Take a grinder and knock down the entire surface to be smooth enough to lay glass over without voids, taper the edges of the core so you don't have a void all the way around it (this is where I think most of these fail)

Glass back over everything with a few layers of glass, trying to do it all without having it kick off if the fun part. I use 3oz mat glass but have done a lot of this, for a person who hasn't done this a lot of times I would recommend 1.5oz and if you do have it start to kick just stop, let it cure and then build on top of that a few hours later.

The core isn't supposed to be the strength, the glass layers top and bottom are and as long as the core doesn't shear within itself it is all good and the old core doesn't have to completely be removed.
      1989 3888
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Have you ran into this green foam before? I am going to remove it and use Marine plywood making sure everything is glued together really well. Then layer the glass. I’ll go with the lighter mat as you suggested.

Comment

Foam is a very good core material as long as the skins bond to it during lamination.

Wood will just make the hatch heavier.
          1989 3888
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Is there a strength difference between fiberglass cloth and chopped glass on a roll?

Comment

Working...
            X