X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sockeye
    started a topic 4788 Cable Routing -TV inlet starboard side to PVR

4788 Cable Routing -TV inlet starboard side to PVR

We have Sat TV with cable routed to TV in glass doors under galley counter.Yesterday I installed a home style
    Sat dish on dock piling so when we are at home port we get a better signal.Has anyone run cable from
    TV/Phone jack on starboard side to PVR (usa calls it a DVR) If so what is best route?
    thanks in advance for ideas

• sockeye
    commented on 's reply
    Derek
    ran the cable as you suggested yesterday .Took three hours but well worth it.Have city style sat dish when at home port now .
    In addition can now record programs for grandkids for those rainy days when on board sat is iffy.Thanks for your help

• sockeye
    commented on 's reply
    Bob
    I will come see your set up but i still think i have to run new coax from the shore dish through the boat as Derek mentioned above.

• sockeye
    commented on 's reply
    We just have one cable coming down from the on board satellite dish on the bridge.We have a 21 inch dome with i believe an 18 inch dish inside the dome.As far as i can remember there is only one LNB. With Bell we track two satellites ,one is SD and One is HD so when using onboard system there is a small delay when going from HD to SD .Its not that important as most everything on SD is also on HD today.I just use one input now from boat dish.Thats why techie said it should work fine as i stated above.He did say that if i want to watch Tv and record I would have to screw in an attachment he gave me to both inputs.If not I will just unscrew one or the other.The previous owner had a Shakespeare omni directional attennae on the arch which i through out.Coax was attached to it so maybe that's where cable goes.He also has a A\B switch in the cabinet but the cables attached to it do not go to the Tv or the cable box. Again I don't anticipate using a splitter at all but i will go to Uncle Bob's boat and see his set up

• Uncle_Bob
    replied
    Sockeye, walk over to A-dock and I will show you my set-up from the TV/Phone input. Easy.

Leave a comment:

• nwoashadow
    replied
    From what I can see when I Google the Bell9400, it has like you said 2 sat inputs. When I did Dish Network the old legacy dishes needed 2 inputs. One for the 119 Sat and one for the 110(here in the states). Since than they have came out with newer LNB that combine the multiple sat into each line coming out of the LNB. Depends on what dish you have will depend on if that will work. As far as where the splitters might be is a guessing game. Most I have found to be either behind the Stereo, to behind your AC/DC panel. One older Sea Ray I had to move the full size fridge to get to one splitter. Does your boat have an off air antenna? If so you should have a A/B coax buttons or if it has been updated to a digital gain dial, I've found them splitters to be behind those. Good luck. Also make sure the coax you get is RG-6, as it will handle the frequency better then the RG-59 that might be installed already on your boat.

Leave a comment:

• sockeye
    commented on 's reply
    nwoashadow
    Thanks for your comments. My plan is not to use a any splitters at all. What i hope to do
    is connect to the boat direct from the sat cable from the dock .That access point would be
    the TV/Phone input on starboard side of boat. Next as Derek suggested , fish the cable direct to the
    back of the PVR (or as you folks call Digital Cable Box) .In Canada Bell is one of the larger Sat TV
    providers .This particular box that we have ( Bell9400 ) has two inputs on the back
    so the theory is one could permanently be set up for on board Sat Dish and the other the home style dish which
    is on the piling at the dock. My theory is when at home base if I don't turn on breaker for on board
    Sat dish ,the cable box (DVR) won't recognize that wire .And when away from home dock,I will have
    unscrewed the dock fitting for at home sat dish so it will not be recognized. Does this make sense to you
    having done this work for a cable company ?Alternatively ,if that does not work I could just undo one
    fitting when away and screw in on board system and vice versa when at home.The fitting on outside of boat
    is now 18 years old and must be changed as it does have some corrosion.Don't know if its ever been used
    by previous owner. Do you or anyone know where that cable goes ? The bell techie that came down to the boat
    to do the set up of the home style dish put a electronic gizmo on the outside TV /Phone input and tried to locate the
    other end but could not find it .

• nwoashadow
    replied
    One thing to keep in mind also is to make sure you bypass any splitters. I use to work for a cable company and I was the marina tech that had to service and trouble shoot all the issues with signal. Almost every boat/yacht I went on had a low frequency splitter (900 MHz or less). As long as you run your dish line to your box first, then out to the input of the splitter you should be good. Also another issue is the barrel gets corroded over time. Changing that every few years will help. Since all the TV providers are going digital the spectrum for workable signal is a lot smaller.

Leave a comment:

• sockeye
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Bob .Merry Christmas! Been in Az last two months.Parking lot looked rather empty at the Club yesterday
    The picture is the same with both dishes but the land based Bell dish is more stable ,at least I find it to be so.
    Once set up it has 100% signal strength.I have never had that with on board satellite
    Sometimes when watching TV at the club I lose the signal with boat movement .Also the home style dish has 2 or 3
    LBN's so there is zero delay when changing channels from HD to SD. Further recording shows should be easier for those times when your away and for some reason you can't get a signal. I don't think I need that switch Bob.The Bell 9400 we have on board should accommodate both systems .It has two input on the back
    so hopefully it will work

• sockeye
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Derek
    I will give it a shot

• Uncle_Bob
    replied
    Hey Sock, why would the signal be better? You'll need https://www.amazon.ca/Philmore-2-Way...ial+a+b+switch

Leave a comment:

• Simonsen
    replied
    It's not a bad run but run twine when you do it so if you do it again then it's an easy pull! I have twine run all over my boat

You can run down behind the breaker panel, then down behind the ice maker, across the fuel tank, across the small access room and up through TV Cabinet. You'll need prob 35-40' of cable to do it.

You'll likely need to remove the ice maker (easy to do).

Derek

Leave a comment:

Working...
X