3270 Boat Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3270 Boat Questions

So I was originally looking at a 1984 3270 with V6s. After the survey and sea trial I decided to pass on it. It had too many issues. I currently found another 1985 3270 with V8 350s. Had a surveyor look at it yesterday and waiting for the report. I am new to "big" boats and still learning about the whole inverter/charger between DC and AC power. This boat does not have an inverter. So am I right that AC appliances can only be used when on shore power or do you receive AC power from the alternators when underway? Second, I am planning to install an inverter/charger so I can use a small amount of AC when anchored but this boat must have a charger already for shore power? And once I install an inverter I must turn it on and off periodically so I do not drain the house batteries from AC appliances like the mini fridge?

Also, does any one have a guess what fuel consumption would be for this boat around 10-12 knots? During the survey it hit 4200 RPM at 20 knots at WOT. Is it possible to get 1NMPG with those bigger engines and still cruise around 10-12 knots?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by ksanders; 12-14-2017, 04:23 AM.

Unless you have an inverter or a genny you do not have AC without shore power. If you install an inverter you need to learn how to match your battery bank to your consumption and charging ability. Too small a bank means depleted batteries. Too large means restricted ability to re-charge.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I can't advise on fuel efficiency for those 350's but I suspect it will be thirsty if you're planning on cruising 10-12 knots. The happy place for these hulls is around 8. Others with these motors will chime in I'm sure.

I had a/c on my boat and a 2000watt portable genny would not run them so that may give you some insight on the power required.

How many hours are on the engines?
      "Martini's Law"
      1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
      Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

I have 350 gm motors and it sounds like the boat might be over propped or other issues. 4200 is way low for wot.

regards
        Ron
        1989 3218
        1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
        2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

• jake_eizy
          jake_eizy commented
          Editing a comment
          What fuel consumption do you see on them at different RPMs?

Just got the survey done. I am very happy with it! Nothing nearly as serious as the previous boat. Does seem to have corrosion under the starboard fuel tank and does seem to have a leak in the potable water. So I guess it is an authentic 3270 then. Is it acceptable to post the survey or do people tend to not do that? Just want to get some input from you guys about all the other little things. Both engines have just over 1000s hours.

The AC and DC power makes much more sense now. Thanks guys.

And I must of heard the surveyor wrong on the phone. I thought he said 4200 RPMs at 20 knots but in the report it says 3400 RPMs at 20 knots. That sound better?

Comment

I typically cruise around 18 mph and I burn approximately 20 gph... only a guess.. never really checked precisely.

Ron
          1989 3218
          1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
          2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Your option whether or not you post the survey.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Here is a drop box link to all the pictures of the boat:
              https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kw9fhm9rk...fC201eA2a?dl=0

survey is too large of a file. I think I am going to get it. Nothing too critical by any means on the survey.

Comment

Your engines seem to be 305s and not 350s.
                Volvo BB225B will give you 225hp.
                My "star war" gauges are not very accurate but my WOT gives me about 21kts at 4200 rpm. The boat cruise 17kts at 3000 rpm.
                I run the boat at hull speed i.e. 7.25kts and I get about 1.25 mpg. All other options are strictly for fun and $ don't matter...
                Good luck with the boat. You'll love it!
                CapMartin, Montr├®al
                "Belle de Dalhousie"
                1986 3270
                Volvo BB225B

Comment

If you do not have fuel flow meters you may be better off buying them.
                  With fuel flow meters you can find the sweet spot for cruising.
                  I gave gas engines on my 3870 350 GM's, the fuel flow meters helped me, I found out that if I stay between 6 and 7 MPH I could run on one engine.
                  I stay on my boat all summer so I have lots of time to go where I want at slow speeds, but that boat will get up and go when needed.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger and got! I couldn't be more excited about it. I am located in Santa Barbara Ca and can't wait to spend countless weekends at the Channel Islands exploring and diving. I am sure many more questions will come later on. Currently finding a good shipping company to haul it down from Sacramento Delta. I figured its probably best to do that then try to bring it down along the coast during the winter.

After talking to the surveyor again he did confirm that WOT was 3400 RPM at 20 knots. Boats probably over propped if the RPM is that low?

Comment

Yah I was going to say those are 305's. I know 350's went in at some point but later years. My boat with 305's hits 4100 and 25 mph easy depending on how much booze and hot chicks on board.
                      Are you concerned about that tank ? Well, I guess it doesn't matter now lol.
                      Congrats ! She's a good looking boat.

Comment

Are you guys sure they are the 305s? The owner is pretty certain they are 350s but I am starting to believe they are 305s too. I am concerned about the corrosions but I am going to pull out that wood and get as much of it off on the tank as I can. What approach would you recommend to stop the corrosion? Should I be concerned about that low WOT? I have mentally pulled the trigger on the boat, not physically handed the guy the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_eizy View Post
                          Are you guys sure they are the 305s? The owner is pretty certain they are 350s but I am starting to believe they are 305s too. I am concerned about the corrosions but I am going to pull out that wood and get as much of it off on the tank as I can. What approach would you recommend to stop the corrosion? Should I be concerned about that low WOT? I have mentally pulled the trigger on the boat, not physically handed the guy the cash.
                          There should be a metal plate on the motor, but reasonably sure those are 305s. It doesn't really matter, they are the same blocks with the same heads, 350's have different bore. Probably the most important things to consider is the ignition and the carbs. These motors are pretty bullet proof and so common you can buy parts anywhere.

For the WOT, the most common issue I encountered is my tabs were not getting down. Once I got fluid in them, viola the boat went faster.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jake's tank.JPG Views:	1 Size:	406.6 KB ID:	398777Click image for larger version  Name:	port tank corrosion.JPG Views:	2 Size:	320.6 KB ID:	398482

The top photo is from Jake's survey. The bottom photo is of my (not Jake's) port tank with the 2x2 removed. If you imagine the 2x2 back in place on the bottom photo, the aluminum that shows above the imaginary 2x2 is similar to that on Jake's tank (top photo). My concern is that the serious corrosion on Jake's tanks is hidden.

I would absolutely pull the 2x2 wood strips on the forward and aft ends of Jake's tanks and look at the aluminum. The bottom photo is of a part of my port tank that was hidden by the wood. It was not leaking (the outboard forward corner of the starboard tank had the leak).

Changing the fuel tanks is a big job.

My boat was built in 1983; the leak appeared in 2005.

The bottom photo is not from Jake's boat.

Good luck.
                            Last edited by lhighland; 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM. Reason: clarity
                            100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Working...
                            X