Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underwater lights

Hi all,
    please indulge me, its the season of wishes and dreams (while having a small glass of Baileys). Saw a boat with underwater lights, really looked great.
    Don't think I would want to penetrate the hull for it but perhaps under the swim platform on our 3587 with power supply above the waterline?
    Wondering if you creative engineering folks have some thoughts on this?
    Thank you,
    Dean

I have experimented with a few different varieties over the years and they all have worked well. One thing I have learned is it is nice to have lots of lumens however those do get cost prohibitive if you are looking at some of the brand names. I just built some new ones for installation next spring. They have threaded holes in the base which will be secured with 2 SS bolts to the top of the trim tabs. 2 will point directly behind and 2, 45º to each side. Used 50w cob leds which I set into a custom machined housing and encased them in resin. made 4 of them which equates to a total of 200watts of led light or about 16,000 lumen if you prefer. Used these which are 12v so no special transformers or driver required. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50W-...RoCb-cQAvD_BwE

Waterproof T connectors so I end up with a single wire going through the transom to supply power to all 4. They are a little better than an inch thick and 5" in diameter. Should illuminate the depths quite well to say the least. Total cost is under $100 however for all 4 however I do have access to a machine shop so the machining is free.

Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Wow, very nice! I bet that will look great.

Comment

attached to the trim tabs... I'd luv to see a picture of the installed light (I know, next spring...).

so, while at anchor, you would be able to change the orientation of these underwater lights by using your trim tab controls?

from where did you buy the cobs? most of them that i've seen have a rectangular mounting plate attached to the back of the cob.
        Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but won't that mess up your trim tab functionality and add drag?
          Glen Sherwood
          1987 3270 twin 305’s
          Coupeville, WA

Comment

Not at all, They will sit on top of the tabs just like the rams do not cause interference.. See this link to see what I mean. https://hurleymarine.com/shop/boat-l...ights/rgb-led/
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
              Not at all, They will sit on top of the tabs just like the rams do not cause interference.. See this link to see what I mean. https://hurleymarine.com/shop/boat-l...ights/rgb-led/
              Cool product, but I don't need $1500 worth of underwater lights. (At this time...)
              1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
              7.4 Mercruiser
              Still learning about other systems
              and specs.

Comment

Originally posted by jongleur View Post

Cool product, but I don't need $1500 worth of underwater lights. (At this time...)
                This is why I make my own which by the way will produce more light.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Really like that concept. For us that dont have machine shop access, got me wondering if there might be a stock fixture that could be modified to work?

Comment

Hans, those are great ! I have a feeling you could get real busy building kits of those if you were so inclined. Let me know if you do !
                    1987 3218 135 hp Hino's
                    Bremerton Yacht Club
                    '07 Guzzi Norge

Comment

Yes, me also.

Comment

I bought these but never had a chance to install them
                        DMCB posted some like these he put on his boat (I think it was him...)
                        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J77LIRK...d_w=IfGKQ&th=1
                        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Stick them under the swim deck and run some marine silicone around them for extra adhesive
                          Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I purchased these, and are really happy with them. they are not the brightest in the bay, the bigger flybridge boats with gensets have brighter ones but for a battery boat i can run these for a few nights without having to fire up the portable and they light up a good 20-30 feet of water on a clear day. easy mounting too.

http://www.imds.com.au/18w-underwate...rim-tab-light/
                            2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

I saw this one over the weekend.
                              P/C Pete
                              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                              MMSI 367770440
                              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                              X