Cummins 6BTA Starter Motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cummins 6BTA Starter Motor

I believe I might have cooked the starter motor on my starboard Cummins 6BTA aboard my 1998 4087. Preparing to winterize, I started both engines and took a 5 minute ride to the fuel dock to pump out my holding tanks. After securing the dock lines, I turned off the ignition switches on both engines, but the starboard engine continued to "run". After turning the key off and on several times, it eventually shut off. Upon completion of the pump out, the starboard engine would not crank. When I turn the ignition switch to "start" all I hear is a loud "click", like a solenoid. When I felt the starter motor, it was extremely hot. As such, I suspect that when I originally started the engine and released the ignition switch, the starter did not disengage and continued cranking the engine, even though the engine was running on its own. I suspect in doing so it burned itself up. The starter motor on the starboard engine is very tight up against the starboard fuel tank and is difficult to even see the mounting bolts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove the starter and replace it?
    Last edited by ksanders; 12-15-2017, 08:42 PM.

Before doing that, I'd jump the starter solenoid from a strong battery to determine whether it is battery, solenoid or starter.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Thank you, Uncle Bob. I'll do that this weekend. Great idea! The KISS method...Keep It Simple Stupid! I'll post the result.

Comment

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Port engine gauges were all wacky after starting and there was a horrible noise coming from that engine (454 Crusader). Found out the Start toggle had not released and the starter was engaged the entire time. Could hear the solenoid click after that but no starter run - it was burned up.
        [CENTER]'99 2355 Ciera (SOLD)
        5.0L Alpha One
        Austin, Texas[/CENTER]

Comment

If you do have to remove the starter they have a special bolt head. make sure you have a 10mm 12 point socket and an assortment of extentions to get it out.
          A six point socket will not work.
          "Adios Dinero"
          1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
          Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Put a piece of plywood over your shaft seal area. That will make crawling around to get to that starter much easier!

Also be careful of the shifter control hydraulic plastic line running to the transmission. On our boat it loops in a way that forces me further aft to get around it. I caught the line on my belt loop and broke it. It’s on my list to install a 90° fitting right at the tranny connection which will move the plastic line out of the way more.
            Last edited by Woodsea; 12-16-2017, 08:54 AM. Reason: additional caution
            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
            MV Kia Orana
            Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
            X