Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webasto Air Top 32S blows ambient air

Hi Everyone,

It's been a good while since I've posted. This weekend I was using my boat on a cold Seattle night and for the 40 minute trip to our destination our heater worked just fine like it always has. When we were tying up and getting everything prepared to leave the boat for a couple hours my wife said "you better look at this" - there was a bit of smoke coming out on the side of the boat where the heater exhaust exits. I chalked it up to normal as the exhaust temperature and ambient temperature were so different. But, in looking back on it the exhaust from the heater seemed a bit more white..? Anyway we left and when we came back we came back to a cold boat! Usually I leave the heater on when it's cold. On the return trip I couldn't get it to work and thought the thermostat was bad so I went to the store and bought a replacement T-stat and went to replace it. Before doing so I tried the heater one more time. I could hear the t-stat click and call for heat, then I could hear the fuel pumping, then the blower engaged but there was no heat. I did some research on it and the 32 s seems to be cross referenced with AT2000 unit but I'll call Sure Marine in Seattle today and verify. The research I found is that the heating element, flame sensor and glow plug should be replaced. I took photo's of the control unit thinking there'd be some type of LED warning (fault code) system on it but it's too old. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what it could be? I don't want to spend a bunch on the heater because it only does our salon and I'm negotiating with my wife for a full boat system

Thanks
    Derek
    1997 Bayliner 2588 Cierra 7.4 Bravo 1 - Mahal
    (past)1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
    (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Buy the full boat unit system extend it to the head and sleeping quarters. Put a thermostat beside your bunk. Point an outlet to the head seat so it is always toasty. No spousal resistance when the seat is warm.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Derek,
      Call Sure Marine and ask them for the reset procedure on the heater. On mine it involves disconnecting the power to the heater and disconnecting a particular wire on the board. Wait a bit and reverse the process. Unfortunately, I have the wire number at the boat.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Hi Guys,

I called Sure (again so pleased with their level of service) and he said he thinks it s the glow plug. He said they are (NLA - No Longer Available) - I've found a source for them from UK though. There's two potential glow plugs were used on that so I'll have to shimmy in there and take it out!

Does anyone with a 47/490 have a Forced Air heater? He said he wasn't sure if the AT 5500 would heat that big of a boat efficiently or not and that's the main reason why people go with hydronic heating systems over forced air. Or you could get two smaller units and divide up the zones which might yet be more economical. I got a quote from a yard in Seattle at the boat show last time it was in Seattle and I think they wanted 13-15K for installing a hydronic unit. I can get two AT5500's for 6K BUT I have to do install....

Derek

Comment

If you want to go with 2 air, check out http://www.planarheaters.com
          I'm not recommending them because I don't know them, but they are getting a lot of exposure. They have hot water too.

Comment

Derek, I’ve noticed your NW cruising style on this forum. You’ve done a lot of nice things to your boat. Put a Band-Aid (at most) on what you have and then get a hydronic system from Sure Marine. As you’ve found out, they have great customer support, especially for DIYers. (FYI - no affiliation w Sure - I have installed two of their Webasto Hydronic systems on two separate boats myself).
            Mike

"Roam" - 2009 Navigator 51
            Anacortes, WA
            Prior 3888 owner

Comment

Derek,
              You may want to talk to Bob Dickey at First Mate Marine: https://www.firstmatemarine.com. He specializes in heating, plumbing, and solar power on boats. He's very knowledgeable and does great work. He also is mobile and will come to your boat.
              Anacortes, WA
              Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Raul - I had Bob out to the boat to give me some suggestions on the heads and holding tank line replacement. I'm going to have him do that stuff most likely in the spring as I have to bring the boat over to Kingston for him. I will talk with him about the heating too. I remember when we were aboard talking about the boat and our uses etc. he said if we put a couple solar panels on the top of the FB we'd generate enough juice to keep the batteries charged and run the refer daily when on the hook. Then we'd only have to run the genny for other items (Kuereg etc, TV). One of our big consumers for power well, we have two...our 11 year old son and the TV and the other being the oven. I plan on replacing the stock oven with a propane unit that will save power too!

Has anyone done a hydronic install on their 47/490 DIY? I've been told it's about a 100 hour billed job...So, I would assume that someone that's done it a lot could get it done in 50 ish? I think a hydronic system makes more sense but the forced air is an easier install. I've NEVER been one to take any shortcuts though so I'll mull this all over.

Bob - I'll check out those heaters too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Derek

Comment

My billed hours for a Webasto Hydronic on my 39 was 44 hours. A 47 will exceed that. Hydronic means smaller hole carved into your boat, however if you already have ductwork for one hot air, a second hot air on a separate thermostat might make sense to zone heat.

Comment

I do have some ducting but it will be undersized for a "full boat" system and it's only for the salon. Out come the hole saws!

Comment

If you look at hydronic, consider a hurricane brand furnace. They have a great reputation. They also have a combination unit with a built in water heater tank. So you can have hot water on the hook.
                      Anacortes, WA
                      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Working...
                      X