47 Hole in Exhaust Hose-gctid401018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47 Hole in Exhaust Hose-gctid401018

Well it happened, we are broke down. Ran about 150 miles with no issues, then was putting along slowly and went to speed up to 1600 RPM and engine would not go over 1000 RPM. Shut it down and bilge was filled with exhaust smoke. Limped into harbor on one and mechanic got to work this morning. Clearly a hole in exhaust hose, big one, but little sign if any of water in bilge, something stopping the flow. Checked thru hull, water fine there. Hose from thru hull to strainer a bit old, checked it clear but are replacing it do to age. Strainer checked OK. Removed impeller and it was fine except marks from removal, a real bear to get it out. Installing new impeller-had spares. Rest of pump looked fine. Riser had some blockage, but not complete blockage. Had new spare so replacing it. Replacing burned exhaust hose. Speed limitation was due to soot on air filters and bilge full of exhaust smoke. Other engine did run up in RPM. After using blower at dock for a while to clear out exhaust, bad engine started briefly and it did run up in RPM in neutral. There was some water in raw water hoses, but none came out of riser at all. Can't really explain burned hose or lack of water flow. Only working theory now is that I sucked something against the clam shell, with slits like cover over the intake, that released when I finally stopped boat and released vacuum. Checked gaskets between turbo and exhaust and they at least looking without taking things apart, OK. Of course now have half a bilge full of soot. Hope to fire things up in a couple of hours or so. So anyone else have a theory why the burned exhaust hose and lack of significant water flow, through the large hole in hose?

Edit: When going through the bottom of the small bucket the mechanic dumped the small amount of stuff that was in the strainer I found small bits of plastic bag in the very small amount of debris. I think that nails what had happened. I had not gotten around to checking what the mechanic put in my bucket until yesterday evening, as we were really trying to regain the day of travel we lost. The amount of stuff in the strainer was not sufficient to block the strainer, just a few loose pieces in the bottom of the basket. We are now about 40 miles from the Broughtons so, with calm seas in Johnstone straight we should reach our cruising ground of the next 4 or 5 weeks and have now traveled about 115 miles since the repair and no longer feel compelled to open the bilge every few minutes to look for smoke. Gee it takes a long time to get anywhere in a hurry at 8 knots but the fuel situation is darn good.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

There was some water in raw water hoses, but none came out of riser at all. Can't really explain burned hose or lack of water flow.
    Is there water flow now?

Did your temp gauge go up?

What's your current coolant level and is the overflow bottle full?
    Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

I had a similar thing happen in my 3988. I ran over a slack pool that had some garbage floating in it. I picked up a plastic bag that stuck on the through hull strainer.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Foster wrote:
        Is there water flow now?

Did your temp gauge go up?

What's your current coolant level and is the overflow bottle full?
        No change in coolant level in fresh water system. No overflow in bottle except normal amount in full system. Saw no increase in temperature at all. Was watching temps closely as had come off a plane just a few minutes before to go through some rapids (only 6 knot currents tho). Did go through a lot of whirlpools right at end of rapids and they could have collected a plastic bag or something.
        Started boating 1965

Comment

Sorry to hear about the troubles....

The plastic bag theory is a good one.

Replacing the suction side hoses is very good as well since they can collapse internally under higher rpm's.

Is the eccentric on the rwp pump in good shape and well affixed?

Maybe the pump got airborn but the impeller should have shed the vanes then.

Check the belt tensions on the rwp and make sure they are both matched.

Also check the flex hose and clamps carefully between the turbo and intercooler.

Good luck - hope this helps
          Northport NY

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
            Sorry to hear about the troubles....

The plastic bag theory is a good one.

Replacing the suction side hoses is very good as well since they can collapse internally under higher rpm's.

Is the eccentric on the rwp pump in good shape and well affixed?

Maybe the pump got airborn but the impeller should have shed the vanes then.

Check the belt tensions on the rwp and make sure they are both matched.

Also check the flex hose and clamps carefully between the turbo and intercooler.

Good luck - hope this helps
            Interior of water pump was excellent. Everything back together, tons of water flowing and mechanic went away to add up the bill. Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Exhaust riser and hose running cold at fast idle. So tomorrow at Oh Dark Thirty we are heading across Georgia Straight for Desolation Sound for a short stay then on to Broughtons, North part of Vancouver Island. Hopefully no more boat issues. Actually this was the second boat issue yesterday, my laptop navigation computer crashed just as I left Canadian customs, it was about 7 years old and on it's last leg anyway. Had two other laptops aboard with nav software and Garmin 4800 chart plotter so we won't get lost.
            Started boating 1965

Comment

If anyone needs any Hino work done in Nanaimo, BC, I would highly recommend Ken Doige (sp?) from Bosun Marine Repairs, cell 250-751-5510. He is a very knowledgeable Hino mechanic. He was recommended by the owner of Harbor Marine (the Canadian western Hino distributor) as the best Hino mechanic in Nanaimo. He did the work in a very timely manner, worked fast and managed to crawl in some almost impossible soot covered areas to replace the stbd exhaust hose, riser, replace an impeller and some raw water hose, plus check a whole lot of stuff. If you have a 47 you will understand the issue. The only exhaust hose avail in 5 inch was that bastard stiff hose with the wire spriral, if you have ever delt with it, you know the issues. I had most of the parts but he did have to purchase some water pump gaskets,a cleaning/recharge kit for the K&N filters and the hoses (which were not cheap). I had the new riser and the impeller. He got to my job the next morning after I called on the way into the harbor in late afternoon. Got him that quick because the other boats he had in work were waiting for parts to come in, which finally happened just as he was finishing my job. He starting doing marine work in 1966, same year as the owner of Harbor Marine started buisness.
              Started boating 1965

Comment

Do you possibly mean Harbour Chandler, rather than Harbour Marine
                Pat
                Paragon
                1999 4788

Comment

cosmo777 wrote:
                  Do you possibly mean Harbour Chandler, rather than Harbour Marine
                  It is which ever is the Hino distributor in Naniamo. They also sell Mercuy and Mercruiser parts.
                  Started boating 1965

Comment

Working...
                  X