Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with a WO6 250 or 310hp change their own risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with a WO6 250 or 310hp change their own risers?

My risers are starting to weep so I bought new ss risers from Scott at Nat'l Marine Exhaust. I am trying to decide if I should do his myself or pay the yard to do it. I understand while it is not a complex procedure there are many variables as to the amount of time and effort required (hoses not cooperating, bolts possibly break or need additional "persuasion"). Anyone done this? If so how tough was it? FYI - My boat has v-drives so the risers are forward and have a little less access than a standard configuration but it is accessible...Thx, Brad
    Brad & Michelle
    Jet & Maverick
    1993 3688 "the Kraken"
    Hino W06 250HP
    14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
    Moored at Shelter Bay
    LaConner, WA

I did it about 3 years ago. My only issue was cutting some relief in a stanchion to allow clearance for the re-routed wet exhaust.
    Be careful cutting the large hose; its wire reinforced.
    Double clamp all hoses.
    Be a little careful pulling the bolts that holds it all to the engine. As I recall, they are relatively small, 3/8 maybe? As in pulling any old rusty bolt, its not a bad idea to soak liberally overnight with the penetrating oil of your choice. When you start backing the not off, or bolt out, turn it half a turn or so out, then back in, then out, then in etc. Less chance you'll snap the bolt/stud off. On a scale of 1-10 , its about a 3.
    Toni Froehling

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Thanks Toni
      Brad & Michelle
      Jet & Maverick
      1993 3688 "the Kraken"
      Hino W06 250HP
      14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
      Moored at Shelter Bay
      LaConner, WA

Comment

Tony has some good tips. Soak soak and re-soak. A little impact by tapping helps. Not the end of the world if you break off a bolt. Be very careful using easyout type product. They are hardedened metal. If they snap they are difficult to remove. I’ve had some luck using reverse drill bits and carefully drilling holes of increasing size. If you can get through the whole bolt, squirt in a little more penetrant. The combo of the reversing drill, the weaker hollowed out bolt and penetrant have worked so far for me. If you nick the threads, you can run a chase to clean them up. So far I’ve been lucky and not needed anything but a new bolt. Good luck!
        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
        MV Kia Orana
        Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Working...
        X