scupper drain line replacement 45 pilothouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scupper drain line replacement 45 pilothouse

ugh! Well I discovered today the drain hose to the forward deck scupper located just aft of the port side pilothouse door is leaking. NOT FUN! Talk about a very difficult place to access. Some questions for those that may have tackled this project before....
    From the scupper at the deck the plumbing is as follows: 12" section of 1.5" hose to a T intersection with a 3/4" hose tying into the 1.5". This 3/4" line appears to be coming from the small scupper in the flybridge deck that I have in forward most port "corner" of the flybridge deck so that scupper is just to port of the flybridge helm. Going through the T mentioned above, another 12" section of 1.5" hose to a T intersection. One side of T is 1.5" hose traveling after immediately up against the hull and above the port fuel tank just a bit aft of the T, then the other side of the T is 1.5" hose tying into a manifold that leads direct to the hull drain fitting for the scupper. The manifold directly @ the hull drain fitting also has a clear 3/4" line tying into it. This line travels along the small storage area at foot of the aft stateroom on port side, goes behind the storage locker on aft bulkhead of the aft stateroom, then goes down into the keel under the steps in the companionway leading down from galley to forward stateroom and at that point I loose site of the clear line as it travels somewhere towards the bow of the boat (!!!).
    1) Existing line is 1.5" black rubber hose with metal spiral embedded in the hose...think below water line grade hose for engine intakes, etc. This seems overkill to me. What have others replaced their hose with for this job? The thick black hose is a royal pain to work with in tight places due to lack of flexibility but I guess once in you typically don't have to mess with it a ton...just not fun to work in difficult places in my opinion. Something heavy duty without the metal in the hose for rigidity would be easier since none of this is below water line.....Suggestions?
    2) I am a bit mystified on a line tied to this system. On both port and starboard, the scupper has a section of hose that comes down to a T. One side of the T goes to the drain in the side of the hull to discharge the water. The other side of the T goes to another 1.5" black rubber hose traveling aft into the engine room area. This is true for both port and starboard. There are no additional fittings through the hulls between the scupper drain and engine exhaust exits in the hull. The cockpit scupper drain is a completely separate system and doesn't drain forward to this forward deck scupper drain so it's not going back to the cockpit area. The bilge pumps all have their fittings through the hull for discharge as I know where they all are at. Despite trying on both sides to find a view to where this drain line goes as it travels aft, I cannot find it anywhere as once it goes out of view near the scupper drain, I can't see it anywhere else in the engine room due to it being outboard the engines and right up against the hull. Sink plumbing in galley also does not drain to this line. Anyone have any idea what this additional 1.5" drain line is going to as it travels aft? In my 5 years of owning my 45 nothing has ever ever drained out of the scupper drain hull fittings except the deck scuppers themselves. Tying this T into this old line going aft is going to be a major headache and I want to eliminate it if I can at all.
    3) Regarding the clear line noted above that travels towards the bow via the keel...what the heck could this be going to?? Aft head and forward head do not have grey water draining aft at all. Sink in aft head goes to shower sump pump at forward head and is discharged overboard from there. Forward sink just gravity drains overboard from the head there. Interestingly...where this line travels along the aft bulkhead of the storage locker in the aft stateroom, there is an older inline 12V pump...exact same looking 12V pump that engages the aft head shower sump to pump that water to the forward head sump pump for the tub/shower and then it is discharged via that pump. What could this clear line and pump be for that is located in the aft stateroom storage locker? Only thing I can think is that perhaps from the factory the aft head shower was pumped all the way over to the port scupper drain discharge and that pump is no longer in use...I have no idea where a switch for it is at to turn it on as the aft head shower switch when turned on powers the identical looking pump that is located under the forward bathtub that is there. Surely the factory didn't plumb the aft head shower all the way over to port side?! This pump and line makes no sense to me what it could be for or where the lines go when I loose site of them!

I hope this VERY long post makes sense....I hate not knowing where all the hoses and everything go on my boat and have to sort this out so that I can know how to best tackle this project. One thing I DO know is that it is going to be an absolute pain....only real access is via the small access hatches in the galley cabinet to the port of the galley stove! Ugh!!
    ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Here are 2 pictures to help see what I am talking about...one is of the mystery 12V pump attached to the clear (actually blackened due to use!) 3/4" line, The other showing the T intersections on the drain line and the aft hose that mysteriously disappears aft to who knows what! Note that the picture of the black drain hoses was taken looking down from the inside the access hatch in the galley cabinet.

Comment

All the plumbing on my 38 cockpit drains are the clear nylon reinforced vinyl tubing. I would think that You could use the black rubber hose without the metal as long as the hose does not get crimped as you make radius bends. Something that may be very helpful is one of those remote cameras that they sell pretty cheap at Harbor freight. This will allow you to see into small crevices and openings to determine where some of these hoses go.
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's
      1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Woodsong, the pump looks very similar to the manually actuated diaphragm sump pump draining the keel on our boat. It is mounted under the lower stair leading from the salon down to the companionway. It pulls from the keel sump then runs to the port side to a thru hull.
        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
        MV Kia Orana
        Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am going to have to investigate some more for what the 12V diaphragm pump is! As I think of it...Woodsea I think you may be right. I know of the bilge pump switches at the helm 12V panel when turned on works and has the world's loudest bilge pump! As I think of it, it sounds a LOT like the sound of the pump for the aft shower so this very well may be what is powering on but I've never had someone power it up when I was down looking at things to see what is actually turning on. Crazy to think after 5 years a few things remain to still be sorted out despite all my crawling around aboard!

Now...to find out what drain line travels aft and where the heck is goes to!! It will make my life a lot easier if that can be replumbed.

Comment

Well just to close the loop in case anyone else tries to figure this stuff out....
            - drain line going aft from the scupper drain plumbing is none other than the sink drain line from the galley.
            - the 12v diaphragm pump in my previous picture is in fact none other than the midships pump as labeled on the 12v panel @ the lower helm. I always assumed it was the bilge pump there next to it that was manually being turned on but had never had someone switch it on when I was down there looking at things.

Now for the fun part of figuring out how to replumb the scupper drain with such limited access!

QUESTION: Has anyone ever taken off the small bulkhead at the aft foot of the aft stateroom where the little storage compartment is? It looks like it is simply screwed in at top and bottom and designed to be removed. If I can take that out it will significantly improve access to the scupper plumbing on the lower end at the thru hull.

Comment

Working...
            X