Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential new owner of a 1987 3288 on a trailer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new owner of a 1987 3288 on a trailer!

I have been looking at 28 and 39ft boats for a while and really like the layout of the 3288 better. I am in North Idaho so I have beautiful lakes to play on, but a lot of the year. Therefore, I wanted to be able to pull the boat out easily.

I also want to be able to trailer it over to the San Juans for some cruising and fishing.

Has anyone effectively towed one of these boats?

I have a 2011 F350 Diesel 4x4 crew cab with single rear wheels. I don't think it will have a problem handling it, I am just anxious about it.

Love the site! I have already learned a great deal.

Welcome to the club Ledfoot. There are at least a couple fellas here that tow a 32'. Your truck should handle it no problem. What's the overall height of your trailered load. Guessing there's no arch? What type of trailer, number of axles, and breaking system does your trailer have?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I have not bought it yet.

Here is a link to the listing. It is over 500 miles from here, so I am trying to check as much as I can ahead of time.

What do you experts think?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...acht-103115614

Comment

Looks like a nice boat. I would choose diesels but that just my personal preference.
        If its in reasonable condition, you can't go wrong with a 32. They are a great boat!
        1995 Bayliner 3587
        Twin Hino 250HP
        Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

I live in spokane wa. area and I tow a 32 ft.to San Juan but mine is an ocean express. It's 12 ft wide and 36 ft lenght over all. However it doesn't have the fly bridge.

Washington DOT has a interactive web site for bridge heights I'll post it if I can find it.. A tow permit in washington state is $20 for 30 days. I can tell you that boat will be pushing 20,000 lbs on the trailer.

towing isn't a big deal except for height. Im towing over to San juans next.july August if you want to join.
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
          Twin chevy 350's

spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
            I live in spokane wa. area and I tow a 32 ft.to San Juan but mine is an ocean express. It's 12 ft wide and 36 ft lenght over all. However it doesn't have the fly bridge.

Washington DOT has a interactive web site for bridge heights I'll post it if I can find it.. A tow permit in washington state is $20 for 30 days. I can tell you that boat will be pushing 20,000 lbs on the trailer.

towing isn't a big deal except for height. Im towing over to San juans next.july August if you want to join.
            thanks. Do you get into Idaho much? I am a little worried about the law towing this thing back from Salt lake.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	396754 Here is a link to the page explaining bridge height.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Bridge/Structures/BVCTP.htm

here is the link to the actual map.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/data/tools/bridgeclearance/

also dagmars in Everett let's you keep your boat there for a minimum of 4 months. I was paying $230 A month. They have a good launch there too .
              twin 454's

Twin chevy 350's

spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Ledfoot2 View Post

thanks. Do you get into Idaho much? I am a little worried about the law towing this thing back from Salt lake.
                I may be wrong but i dont think you need a permit to haul in idaho. What part of Idaho are you in? I go there every now and then. Washington is easy to get a permit just go and pay them 20$. I don't know about Utah maybe someone will know. Once on the freeway it's a easy tow. I know you will have some single lane areas not sure what laws say about that. Washington requires a pilot car on single lane hwys but from Idaho border to Everett is all double lane or more so it's not a problem for the most part.

twin 454's

Twin chevy 350's

spokane Washington

Comment

Ledfoot2

I have a 1995 3288 I toe in Alaska twice a year. Your truck should be okay. Maybe expect to slow way down on steep hills. All states have different rules for toeing. I Alaska I have to have a pilot car in addition to a permit. I also can't toe on holiday weekends. You can also expect to drop the radar arch. It's at least a two person job. It requires the removal of 4 bolts on each side. Also anything attached above the arch will need to be removed. We also remove the upper helm windshield as I would hate to brake it. They are expensive to replace. Good luck I love mine and so does the grand kids.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stshop View Post
                    Ledfoot2

I have a 1995 3288 I toe in Alaska twice a year. Your truck should be okay. Maybe expect to slow way down on steep hills. All states have different rules for toeing. I Alaska I have to have a pilot car in addition to a permit. I also can't toe on holiday weekends. You can also expect to drop the radar arch. It's at least a two person job. It requires the removal of 4 bolts on each side. Also anything attached above the arch will need to be removed. We also remove the upper helm windshield as I would hate to brake it. They are expensive to replace. Good luck I love mine and so does the grand kids.
                    Thank you. Do you have any pictures of your boat being towed? I would love to see it.

Comment

FYI, from the pics it looks like the starboard rudder may be bent backwards.
                      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                      MV Kia Orana
                      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                        FYI, from the pics it looks like the starboard rudder may be bent backwards.
                        That's a good catch. To me.it looks bent too. It may just be the angle of the pic. That would be a good negotiating point for a lower price if it is. The trailing edge should be going straight down for the most part. You should look at both of them.

a new one of those is about $2000 each plus labor. I just went through that with my 3450 . It was bent enough I couldn't get it out of the rudder housing. Cost me around $2000 for a new rudder and housing from marine hardware.

when I say it's a good negotiation point I mean it's probably a good $3000 + drop in the price.

on a side note I have 2 good rudders and housings from a 3288 that I would let go cheap. And being that you don't live too far away well if so you would be set. A rudder isn't too difficult to change out. I couple hours maybe.
                        twin 454's

Twin chevy 350's

spokane Washington

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	395.9 KB ID:	397384Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	397382
                          Attached Files
                          twin 454's

Twin chevy 350's

spokane Washington

Comment

I tell you this new forum has some getting used to.

it looks bent to me. If you decide to get it I have 2 rudders in good condition from a 3288 I'll sell cheap and since you live close to me shipping won't be a problem.

apperently you can't see what a person writes about a picture unless you click on the picture. .
                            twin 454's

Twin chevy 350's

spokane Washington

Comment

What bent? I think i looks good!
                              https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqjF-BlXT8PajKWGmDYJNVw

Comment

Working...
                              X