Davit installation on 2001 3988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davit installation on 2001 3988

I just had a davit installed on my 3988 and thought I'd share with the forum. I have an Achilles dinghy with Euro helm, (10' 4", 20 HP Honda, and weighs approximately 380 lbs.). After exploring options and prices, I opted for a Roskelly Olsson style davit which is rated for 500 lbs. This davit was manufactured and installed by a local installer. It's stainless steel which has also been powder coated. As pictures show, the stainless pull point was installed on top of the transom and was through-bolted with backing washers. The electric, 12 V winch is rated for 2000 lbs. and a synthetic cable was used in lieu of a stainless cable; it's suppose to be stronger. The supporting chains shown on the pictures are only temporary while proper length cables are made up. In addition, we're adding a stainless rod, (stay), on the starboard side of the davit, which can be attached when underway if conditions are rough.
    Alex
    Orange County, Ca.
    2001 3988
    Twin Cummins 330's

Looks nice and will probably work fine for the lightweight dinghy you have. If your transom flexes at all you will get cracking on the rear port corner of the transom. I had a similar setup on my 39 but with a larger, heavier dingy (12' Novarania with 40hp, 750lbs). It would flex the transom in rough conditions and also slightly when initially lifting out of water. If you see any deflection at all I'd recommend installing a brace from your pull point (inside the transom) down to the stringers. That transom is wide so you get a fulcrum effect...your may be fine since your dinghy is a lot lighter. Best wishes, Brad
    Brad & Michelle
    Jet & Maverick
    1993 3688 "the Kraken"
    Hino W06 250HP
    14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
    Moored at Shelter Bay
    LaConner, WA

Comment

Brad, thank you for the advice. This was definitely a concern as I opted for this installation method. My installer stated that, as you say, the weight of this dinghy shouldn't stress the transom excessively. I'll keep a close eye and take your advice regarding a support post, if need be.

Thanks again!,

Alex
      Alex
      Orange County, Ca.
      2001 3988
      Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

I also have Ross Kelly Olsson on my 4087. You do get some flex when its rough and when raising and lowering. No cracking after over 10 years. I add a couple of strong tie downs (see the orange in the pic) and attach those to separate creates, stops the swaying and takes some of the stress. Plus I always close the transom door as it adds a bit of stability to the rest of the Transom.

I have a Walker Bay 11’ 18hp 4cycle Tohatsu and bench seat, weighs same as yours, just under 400lbs. I’ve looked at adding additional ties or strengthing to ‘beef’ it up a bit, but haven’t come up with anything yet. I swapped out the stainless cable for Amsteel line, very strong, no rust or snags as it get older.
        Machog
        1996 4087 Lazy Days
        2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
        2011 Porsche Cayman
        2010 Lexus IS 250C
        2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

The davit was just installed so I have't taken the boat out yet. The installer did advise me to raise and lower in one continuous motion to prevent sway and stress on the pull point, (transom). He did demo this, (start and stop as you raise or lower), and you could see a little flex on the transom where the stainless plate is. In addition, similar to what you do, he suggested securing the dinghy bow and stern lines to the port and starboard cleats on the stern of the boat to prevent the dinghy from swaying in rough conditions. I also have the synthetic winch cable and he pointed out the advantages that you mentioned. In regards to beefing up the system, there is the option of installing a stainless post through the transom, which gets bolted down in the lazarette. This was discussed; however, given the weight of the dinghy, my installer felt it was not necessary. Once I get the boat out, I'll let you know if I notice any flex in the transom; I'm hoping it'll be fine.
          Alex
          Orange County, Ca.
          2001 3988
          Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Working...
          X