Cable routing on 3988 from radar arch to salon port side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable routing on 3988 from radar arch to salon port side

I think one of the "gurus" on this forum has answered my question but I thought I'd throw it out there for ideas. I'm installing a digital TV antenna on the radar arch and need to route the cable to the port side salon stereo cabinet. It seems that, based on this forum, the wire chase is only down the starboard side. Has anyone with a 39 run wires down the port side to this area?
    Alex
    Orange County, Ca.
    2001 3988
    Twin Cummins 330's

No chase on port side but you could drill one and cement in a PVC pipe to run into the lazarette and then forward towards the bulkhead opening to the 2nd stateroom. The stereo cabinet is directly above the engine room side of the bulkhead. You could take out the port-side salon stereo speaker and drill up for that PVC. That would allow you access to the built-in couch and then over to the cabinet. The downside is it could be an area that might spring a leak over time. Regardless, you will save only 15 feet of cable going down the stbd chase.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Hmmmm.....so far, it looks like I'll be going down the starboard side, into the lazarette, then into the engine room, and up to the cabinet. Longer cable run but I'd hate to create the potential for future leaks.

Thanks Uncle Bob
      Alex
      Orange County, Ca.
      2001 3988
      Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Do you have a coax plug end on the port cabinet over the stereo for a TV? If you do that cable on my 3988 goes behind the power cabinet on the starboard side and goes to a outside cable plugin beside the power cable receptacles. When I installed my antenna I spliced that cable behind power panel and installed a splitter in the side cabinet so I can use outside dock cable or the antenna. This way you only have to snake down the starboard side into to power cabinet. Hope this helps.
        Island Girl 2000 3988
        Great Loop 2018
        Sarasota,Florida
        There are worse places to be than on your boat.

Comment

Noah, I haven't seen a coax plug on the port cabinet but will take a closer look in case I missed something. Maybe the PO of your boat installed this? In either case, thanks for your input; I'll report back with my findings.
          Alex
          Orange County, Ca.
          2001 3988
          Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

My optional factory installation coax is a Marinco brand TV/Phone jack beside the two Marinco power inlets on the stbd side. If the original buyer took that option you can split that RG 59 cable, but you still have to get from the arch to the engine room/lazarrette to the cable to split. Most do not have the optional coax.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Thanks Uncle Bob. I'm pretty familiar with the boat and don't think I have that option; however, I'll take a closer look when I'm back at the boat. And thanks again for the pointers!
              Alex
              Orange County, Ca.
              2001 3988
              Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Working...
              X