4588 Lower Water Tank Removal...DONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 Lower Water Tank Removal...DONE!

Our lower water tank, start a leak early this year, so a winter project was to remove and replace...we removed it yesterday. Very surprising how big that tank is. We ended up cutting the floor and took the tank out in 3 pieces. Plan is to replace with 2 poly tanks (different shapes and sizes with a coupler s at the bottom. will send pics of that when that is done next month. Below are some pics of removal as few people have been asking, and since I just did it happy to share the 1 day project.
    Attached Files
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Wow! i had no clue the bugger was that big!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I am glad that my tanks are poly and so far are healthy.
      1992 4588 Twin 250 hp WO6-TI Hino
      12.5 kw Northern Light OM843NW2
      MMSI# 367650430
      FCC Call sign WDH 7669

Comment

Are you going to install bowthruster, when the pants are down?
        subscribe to my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/c/MyBoatandMylife

Comment

Mark, how were you able to determine that the tank was actually leaking? Right now, I have the floor towards the master stateroom in the companionway cut away to access the area of the keel that I am fixing the hole in. The inner glass has been cured up for a week or so, and I am finding that I have a constant revisit of clear water at that repair site, just south of where the lower tank is. Not sure at this point if its a leaky tank, or rain water from outside getting in elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_perfater View Post
            Mark, how were you able to determine that the tank was actually leaking? Right now, I have the floor towards the master stateroom in the companionway cut away to access the area of the keel that I am fixing the hole in. The inner glass has been cured up for a week or so, and I am finding that I have a constant revisit of clear water at that repair site, just south of where the lower tank is. Not sure at this point if its a leaky tank, or rain water from outside getting in elsewhere.
            Perhaps introduce a colored food dye (like Easter eggs) into the suspect tank and see if that color appears at your repair site.
            Northport NY

Comment

A friend that worked for Bayliner factory says the poly tanks can easily crack by filling them too fast even with a clear vent. Just take a long time to fill the tank. Good friend had to replace 3 big water tanks for this reason. Finally new tank builder insisted he watch friend fill tank. Mfg said no more warranty tanks until he slowed the fill rate by 10 times.
              Started boating 1965
              Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Used a large bottle of Red Food coloring, found leak about 15 minutes later....put in food coloring add some water and wait and watch I did the upper tank with BLUE so I could tell which was leaking as well.
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Got it! will start that process tomorrow...thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X