3270 New Boat Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3270 New Boat Inspection

So I have a pre purchase agreement on a 1984 3270 with 262 V6 engines. I am very excited as I have been looking for the right one for a long time and I think this might be it. I will be heading down this Saturday to personally inspect the boat then have a surveyor look at it both visually and mechanically. I am curious if there are certain things I should really look for. I already plan to inspect the fuel tanks and water tank very well. I will look for soft spots in the fly bridge and radar arch. We will do a quick sea trial and I will make sure to watch the gauges and judge how the boat sounds and feels. Is there anything in particular I should look closely at in respect to the 32xx models? This is not my first boat, but it is my first "big" boat and I couldn't be more excited for the adventures that will come!!
    1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s
    Santa Barbara, California

I have owned my 1989 3218 for about 10 years now and love it. Other things to look for is rain water leaking into the salon at the windows , the sanitation hoses will also need to be replaced if not done yet. Fuels lines are date stamped and should have also been replaced by now (this is a must). The rub rails on these boats tend to leak and require caulking.

No, deal breaker on any of these items just standard maintenance for boats of this age group.

Good luck

Ron
    1989 3218
    1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
    2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

I sent you a PM )personal message)
      100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Sounds like you are educated on the most important things, the #1 being hire a surveyor. Water, fuel tanks 100% also the stringers. Having the cave hatch already done is a huge plus, if not we have plenty of examples. Interesting on the V6's, curious from other owners what the performance is like. I can attest it would be nice to have some room in the engine bay.

Comment

Ya the current owner has a flow scan on it. He said he gets 1.5 nmpg at 3,000 RPM going 9 knots and 1.1 nmpg at 3,500 RPM going 12 knots. I was looking at a couple other 32xxs with the standard 305s but I am happy to get better fuel consumption and more engine room because I am no hurry to get to my locations. What are your guys thoughts on batteries.? He says it has 3 group 31 batters but recommends I swap out one of the group 31 for an 8D. Is that overkill?

Thanks for all the info so far!
          1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s

Comment

I have a V6 powered 3270. The fuel numbers look to be right. You will find slowing to 5-6 Knots, will yield a big increase in fuel economy. So while not as good as the Hinos for fuel economy the 262's are easy and cheap to maintain.
            1980 Bayliner 3270 "Goose Bumps"
            Twin 4.3 V6
            Coal Harbour, Vancouver

Comment

The problem with the 8d is the things are freaking heavy. I had one for house and I got rid of it because it took up too much room and I could barely move it alone. Obviously they perform very well. I also have a generator so there is that.

Comment

I installed an 8d and it has worked well for our needs. I no longer needed to carry the portable genny for vacuuming and the micro wave.
                "Martini's Law" SOLD
                1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Ya I like the idea of not being too concerned about battery usage. Should I be worried about installing a battery that heavy with the small engines? Will it affect my cruising speed that greatly? My end goal for the boat is to convert it into a badass dive boat with a small compressor. I know that would involve installing a generator also. So if I am thinking about adding a generator do I even need the bigger battery?

Talking about weight, I do want to add an extended fly bridge. Am I potentially adding too much stuff that will slow the cruising speed greatly when fully loaded up with water, gas, and tanks for a long dive trip?

Also I want to add a transom door. My current bayliner 2450 just has a half door with a chain. Do people do that with these boats? I think that seems better then a big swinging door.
                  1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s

Comment

The 8d is about 130lbs. Mine is located between the stringers at the transom. It won't make much difference in your speed but a couple divers with gear will.
                    "Martini's Law" SOLD
                    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by jake_eizy View Post
                      Ya I like the idea of not being too concerned about battery usage. Should I be worried about installing a battery that heavy with the small engines? Will it affect my cruising speed that greatly? My end goal for the boat is to convert it into a badass dive boat with a small compressor. I know that would involve installing a generator also. So if I am thinking about adding a generator do I even need the bigger battery?

Talking about weight, I do want to add an extended fly bridge. Am I potentially adding too much stuff that will slow the cruising speed greatly when fully loaded up with water, gas, and tanks for a long dive trip?

Also I want to add a transom door. My current bayliner 2450 just has a half door with a chain. Do people do that with these boats? I think that seems better then a big swinging door.
                      You said you were not in a hurry
                      So, lots of questions. Battery vs. generator alone can take up a page, but keep in mind adding a "real" meaning built in generator to the boat is a pretty involved and expensive proposition. My westerbeke 6.5 installed new today would be enough expense to make one check his own sanity. I think many folks battery up, add a powerful charging alternator, a powerful inverter and then carry a small generator like the Honda for backup. My fellow Captain yachtman went that route and seems fine, I know he has some monster batteries. It all depends on how you cruise and what your needs are. I myself run a pair of mere 29's for house and use the generator sparingly, as even the quietest (and mine is pretty quiet) generator may annoy you and other boaters in an anchorage. I see some boaters running their generator the whole time they are out boating, always kind of mystified me, but to each his own. Another consideration is solar, but you need high wattage panels and a place to put them. My suggestion is go boating and see what you like and need. You will not go wrong with an 8d, and no they are not heavy enough to worry about. I am just too lazy to move the things. I will add I have a small harbor freight inverter in the kitchen area, I use that to run the TV at night and little else, maybe charge phones and run a fan.

On the 32XX hull, they are inherently ass heavy and the more weight you put back there, the more your boat squats, the more trim you need and the overall performance will certainly be affected. Best demonstration is to take your boat out empty, meaning fuel, water and personal junk and note the performance and overall handing characteristics. As you add all that stuff, you will get a feel for your new boat and what is going to cost you to carry weight. My boat empty leaps out of the water and has hit 28 mph. Loaded I stick to hull speed.

Many folks add the transom gate, been on my wish list for years. I use a set of stairs at the dock, helps the admiral and folks get on and off.

Smooth sailing Captain

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for the responses. The survey went well yesterday. I really liked the boat. The exterior needs some love but the interior is flawless. Engines are solid, radar arch solid, and fly bridge was solid. The bow plank was soft but thats an easy fix. The fly bridge wiring and switches were not working but thats probably just a fuse box or dirty connection. Overall I thought it was a good boat that with a little love would be a great boat.
                        1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s

Comment

• iceclimber
                          iceclimber commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Swap the fuse block up there with a modern one. I did that and like magic everything started working. Took like 15 minutes.

Whats the specs on that fuse box up there?
                        1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s

Comment

Working...
                        X