4588 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 Issues

I am considering the purchase of a 1989 4588 on the GA. coast. This boat has had a hard life of neglect and weather, hence it is priced at a point where it becomes a fixer upper. I would like to ask fellow 4588 owners to chime in on their thoughts with a few items before I purchase:

1. Hino 220 - smoke when first started, but after 10 minutes, only a very light exhaust smoke...normal?
    2. Muir Windlass - clicks at windlass when actuated at helm or toe switches, owner says bad solenoids...solenoids available and replaceable?
    3. Leak at outer port rear corner of office/stateroom. Has wood rotted and bunk cushions fairly moldy..Looks like might be caused by leak in storage hatch above on port bow deck...thoughts?
    4 Steering at pilothouse helm fine, spotty at flybridge, system not seastar...any idea what brand and if maybe would need fluid?
    5. Upper flybridge deck soft around back ladder, solid everywhere else. Is that a job that a person with a good sense of carpentry could tackle?
    6. Starboard shifter at pilothouse is very sticky, any surprises in replacing the shift cables?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Yes, the windlass could be the solenoid, and these are available. Parts are also available for the windlass if you need them.

All boats have leaks from time to time. It sounds like this on has went on a long time. A handy person can track down and fix leaks.

Steering on the newer ones is Hyunatic. Parts are available
    Shifters on the newer ones are also Hyunatic
    Soft decks are a surgery job, but pretty straight forward.

Good luck and happy fixing!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

From my experience with my previous boat, a4588, I’ll try to answer things as best as I can remember ..

1. Hino 220 - smoke when first started, but after 10 minutes, only a very light exhaust smoke...normal? Smoke at start up could be a couple things from engine wear to the injectors. Mine would smoke at first and after it warmed up , about 10 minutes, the smoke would dissipate. I’d note how the smoking or sooting was when the boat was under way. If it is excessive, I’d consider compression testing the engine and if adequate, it would most likely be a case of simply rebuilding or replacing th injectors.

2. Muir Windlass - clicks at windlass when actuated at helm or toe switches, owner says bad solenoids...solenoids available and replaceable? It does sound like a solenoid issue. The parts are still available in most cases and shouldn’t be too difficult to get works in again.

3. Leak at outer port rear corner of office/stateroom. Has wood rotted and bunk cushions fairly moldy..Looks like might be caused by leak in storage hatch above on port bow deck...thoughts? Leaks can be a bugger, but it is possible it could be a leak in the front window seals, if I’m thinking of wher you’re describing correctly, that would be an easy fix. unless ther is a penetration in the hatch compartment that someone did for a wire or something or unknown damage, there shouldn’t be too many places in that area for a leak to occur.

4 Steering at pilothouse helm fine, spotty at flybridge, system not seastar...any idea what brand and if maybe would need fluid? It sounds like it may be something rather simple like burping the air out of the system and refilling it.,, any parts would be fairly easy to obtain , should that needed...

5. Upper flybridge deck soft around back ladder, solid everywhere else. Is that a job that a person with a good sense of carpentry could tackle? Given a sense for carpentry, I would imagine the repair is something that’s you can do with some patience and attention to the fiberglass and it’s surrounding substratesso thy can be properly replaced/repaired.

6. Starboard shifter at pilothouse is very sticky, any surprises in replacing the shift cables? The only trick would be getting to the straps along th cable run cut so you can remove the existing cable and replace it with the new one. It’s not a major issue,at least it wasn’t too bad for me, but it did take some patience ... another idea is you can run electronics shifters and throttles and abandon the existing cables.. I bought a set of electronic shifters/throttles for my old boat and was going to install such a system, never got around to installing it,,, it was not because I didnt want to, it was more the fact i ran into a deal on a bigger boat (5788) and sold it before I installed it.

I hope this helps. Good luck,
      BJ
      OMEGA

Comment

Thanks Kevin and BJ....I REALLY like the idea of Electronic shifters. I need to learn more about how that retrofit would take place.

Comment

On item 5, take care how far the soft deck spreads. On some early 3988’s Bayliner forgot the resin for the balsa core. Complete flybridge floor eventually turned to dust. If it extends more than a 1’ or so it could be very expensive. To make a clean unsightly repair its often done from underneath. If you havn,t done it already as well as Mechanic/ survey, get a structural survey done-could save you thousands.
          Machog
          1996 4087 Lazy Days
          2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
          2011 Porsche Cayman
          2010 Lexus IS 250C
          2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Hi Jeff, I have a 1989 Bayliner that I restored completely including re-powering it with a pair of CAT 3116 350HP engines, we also built a 4ft enclosed dive platform and added hard chine kits to it. I also installed a bow thruster, moved my water tanks and generator into the dive platform, and installed teak/holly flooring thru out the interior. We also converted the forward stateroom and office into one large stateroom buy removing a wall and moving the door. The old office space still has the lower bunk but in the rest of it I built teak cabinets so we had more clothing storage while we are cruising.

I faced some of the same issues you are looking at on the Bayliner. My flybridge roof was spongey so we removed the headliner and cut the fiberglass from underneath. We removed all of the rotted balsa coring and replaced it with high density foam coring that was 5200ed in place, we then reinstalled the fiberglass that we had removed from the bottom with epoxy and replaced the headliner. Because of the location it was messy but our deck is firm now. Yours may be a lot easier if it is just around the stair opening.

I also added ZF MicroCommander engine controls to our vessel and would never go back to cables. We are the distributor for the MicroCommander so if you are interested let me know, BOC members get a 20% discount on these.

BJ did a great job in explaining the items on your list, the only other leak I found is just aft of the pilot house doors up near the roof line on the outside there is a piece of aluminum trim held in place by a screw. The wood had rotted under this trim piece so overtime we got a hard rain water would run down inside the PH wall and get the liquor closet and steps wet causing some staining. I removed the trim and rotted wood, filled in the hole using west epoxy and a filler material. Then I faired it out, and painted it to match the PH paint. No more leak.

I can tell you I work on all sorts of vessels and the Bayliner motor yachts are a great boat especially at the price point they are at. They may not have the joinery work of a Flemming, Marlow, etc but they don't cost a million dollars either. The hull on these vessels will take any sea you are willing to be in (the bottom glass is 3/8"with a 3/4"high density coring and then 3/8"glass on the inside). We have been all over the North and Southern Bahamas in ours and have rode out 3 hurricane's on it (not recommended but we came out with only minor damage).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on the 45 as I have been thru mine from bow to stern.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X