38XX warning buzzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38XX warning buzzer

My warning buzzer has quit for low oil and temp. The buzzer is getting zero volts. I have a gray with red stripe wire adrift with no idea where it might go. I can't find anything on my wiring diagrams for the buzzer. Any ideas? Thanks, TW

Could be a lot of things, get the voltmeter out and start tracing. I broke my oil pressure switch and gave me no buzzer. Bought a new switch (was from a 70's VW) and has been great since. If you think its a sensor you have another engine to swap parts to find the issue
    1985 3870 175hp Hino's

Comment

I had to go to a 1990 Owners manual to find the alarm circuit. If you have any habits like mine, you probably knocked a sensor wire off the oil pressure sensor switch. If you have Hinos it’s probably a green wire hanging free near the oil slinger. Without the oil pressure alarm switch grounding there will be no power at the buzzer.
      I like to use a cheapo test light from Harbor Freight to look for these things. You can try the gray red wire for key on and off. If there’s not an available connect, it may just be a stray.
      Heres a link to the manual.
      http://bayliner.com/wp-content/uploa...Motoryacht.pdf
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

I've done the same thing as Pete on the port engine more than once, I now check it any time I'm in the engine room, and make sure it's connected.

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

Where is this grey/red wire located? Near the buzzer? Not sure if the larger boats have a different engine alarm system than us smaller cruisers do but for us there should be 12volt power to the buzzer whenever the key is in the run posision and the low oil and over temp switches simply close the negative path to the buzzer to set it off.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Builder, I stand corrected, there should be power to the buzzer then the pressure switch closes the circuit. The power to the buzzer comes from the same circuit as the gauges.
            James, I replaced the wire connector on mine then squeezed each down so that I had to use pliers to get it on. So far, so good.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
              Builder, I stand corrected, there should be power to the buzzer then the pressure switch closes the circuit. The power to the buzzer comes from the same circuit as the gauges.
              James, I replaced the wire connector on mine then squeezed each down so that I had to use pliers to get it on. So far, so good.
              Yep the oil pressure switch completes the circuit to ground when no oil pressure exists.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

The gray wire is under the lower helm. Thinking I did something there since I replaced all the instruments due to a lightning strike. Will turn on ignition and ground out oil pressure switch and see what happens. Did not think of that. It was intermittent for awhile which makes me think it might be the switch on the engine. Makes more sense than anything else. Thanks everyone. House got hit by lightning and the boat got zapped via the shore power cord. 15K in damage. Last summer the boat got hit directly on one of the vhf antennas. 22K in damage. Interesting things get zapped. Start relays both times. Fuel tank and water tank senders, charger, tach senders. Alternators and starter bullet proof.

Comment

Originally posted by tweekes View Post
                  The gray wire is under the lower helm. Thinking I did something there since I replaced all the instruments due to a lightning strike. Will turn on ignition and ground out oil pressure switch and see what happens. Did not think of that. It was intermittent for awhile which makes me think it might be the switch on the engine. Makes more sense than anything else. Thanks everyone. House got hit by lightning and the boat got zapped via the shore power cord. 15K in damage. Last summer the boat got hit directly on one of the vhf antennas. 22K in damage. Interesting things get zapped. Start relays both times. Fuel tank and water tank senders, charger, tach senders. Alternators and starter bullet proof.
                  Didn’t your insurance cover this as well paying to have the boat repaired?
                  1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X