4788 Cable route from pilothouse helm to breaker cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Cable route from pilothouse helm to breaker cabinet

When you look under the lower helm dash, there are a bunch of cables running aft on the starboard side of the boat. The route is accessibility under the pilothouse drawer. But then where is the next access point? I’ve looked all over the starboard side of the boat and cannot find anything.

i know about the route on the port side behind the fridge and then down into the engine room but the starboard side would be a lot more direct. If it’s even usable!

Any advice appreciated.
    Evan
    2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
    League City, TX

I have never been successful getting a cable path established directly from the pilothouse dash to the breaker panel. I would love to get something figured out, and possibly install a 2” condut to make it easier in the future.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I used a fish tape from the electrical panel to under the helm. Access is thru the panel in the main stateroom. Not easy but it can be done, I ran some string lines for the future. Good luck

Comment

"Any advice appreciated."

If you pull out the draw to the rt side of the helm you can get some access there and when lifting the panel just to the left of that draw.
        From there you can pull out the exhaust fan in the guest head and reach in there and pull over to the breaker panel with a tape.
        You can get much more access by pulling down the entire assymby that holds the exhaust fan in there but its a lot of extra work IMHO.
        Northport NY

Comment

I've been able to have some luck in fishing wires thru that area by removing the vent in the guest shower and sticking my arm in there to grab wires.
          Pat
          Paragon
          1999 4788

Comment

A little off subject but, any tricks to replacing the exhaust fan above the forward head. I can't reach it from through the ceiling panel in the forward stateroom.
            Current boat. 1995 4788 powered by 310 Hino
            Boat name. "The Salty Kiss"
            Location. Kona Kia Marina, San Diego CA.
            Prior boat. 1999 2855 Powered by 454 with Bravo III
            Owners. Dean and Tracy Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by The_Salty_Kiss View Post
              A little off subject but, any tricks to replacing the exhaust fan above the forward head. I can't reach it from through the ceiling panel in the forward stateroom.
              I had to completely climb through the hatch into the area behind the pilothouse helm. It was screwed (qty 2) to the side of the hull. I replaced it with new and "suspended" it midair with zip ties to try and reduce the noise level. It helped some, but not to the extent I had hoped.
              Pat
              Paragon
              1999 4788

Comment

I'm afraid that I might pull the ceiling down if I try to climb too far through the hatch. How did you do it Pat?

Thanks Dean...

Comment

I’ve been up in the area behind the dash a zilion times, it’ll hold your weight

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                  https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I'll give it a shot, let you know...

Comment

• ksanders
                      ksanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just saw you are at Kona Kai in San diego. We stayed there on Vacation a couple years ago. Very nice!!

Can't remember exactly how we did it ( second thing to go ) but we used a vaccum with about a four foot !" pecs extension to draw the string from the area under the drawer to the breaker panel. It wasn't a easy or quick solution but once we had a string in have used it several times. Just remember to pull a new string each time. Ted

Comment

I had communicated this separately to Evan, but the port side route is an alternative. You may need to bore a hole if needed. I've attached a pic (pardon the junk in the storage area) of a hole bored in the floor of the "L" settee base in the corner near the vertical wall, just inside port pilothouse door. The hole, I think was bored by the prior owner that used to run his nav laptop cables to the table. If you remove the pilot house heater from the opposite side wall (just pull it out from the hole by removing the screws) you can run a mouse/flexible rod under the step surface of the pilot house door step, to the bored hole. From there, any wires can be run past the back of the settee aircon unit (if installed) to the back of the galley refrigerator and then to the flybridge or engine room. From the heater cutout access point, wires can be routed up past the dash corner seat into the dash area.

Hope this assists those running cables. Certainly navigating the 90 deg bends of the starboard corner drawer/doorstep is a pain.

Cheers Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	725.2 KB
ID:	395755
                      John H
                      Brisbane QLD Aust
                      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Working...
                      X