New Flybridge circuit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Flybridge circuit.

I plan to clean up the factory wiring under the helm on the flybridge. I bought a 12 gang marine fuse panel that I plan to run a new 30 amp circuit to from the house battery main switch. My question is if I connect the positive lead to the battery switch is it better to connect the ground at the battery or take it to the engine block?
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's
    1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

I did something similar but I only ran back to the 12V rats nest under the helm and the Buss Bar there. There is a good sized feed to that point for both + and -
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

KWB-
      I’m assuming you mean the bus bars under the lower helm correct? Do you know by chance where those are fed from and what ampacity that circuit is?
      i was going to use an unused circuit breaker at the lower helm but they max out at 20 amps.
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Those are the ones - I didn't check where those are fed from to be honest.

All I was feeding was a couple radios, GPS and Radar. Far less than the old junk that I had ripped out from both helms. I pulled a ton out of the tube heading up to the bridge and fed to the new panel with a pair of 8ga so there would be little to no drop getting up there.
        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I think it's best to run to the engine block or a ground bus on the firewall. Makes it easier to add a shunt later for a battery monitor too.
          Esteban
          Huntington Beach, California
          2018 Element 16
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
          Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
            Jim_Gandee commented
            Editing a comment
            +1. If you have an inverter with a system monitor you will not want to bypass the shunt.

KWB,
          Youre right. The buss under the lower helm is actually fed directly from the house buss battery and it looks like it is fed with heavy battery cable. I will tap in at that buss and fuse it there. Definitely a lot less work then going to the battery switch. I am really surprised at the rats nest under both helms. It will take some time to eliminate wiring from P.O’s and get it all neat and orderly. Not sure if it was that neat from Bayliner when it left the factory.
          Gibraltar, Mi.
          1986- 3870- Hino 175's
          14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I did this too but not only did I clean up the factory wiring and replaced the crappy fuse block with a nice Blue Seas unit but I ran a separate 50amp Fused panel up there. I ran that from the main battery switch (with 4AWG wire) and grounded from a ground buss that came from the engine. So, now I can run things light lights, and radio up on the flybridge when the boat power is off. You obviously have to make sure that you turn these items off when you're done but I wanted "key off" power. It was a bit of a pain to do but worth it in the end.

Derek
            1997 Bayliner 2588 Cierra 7.4 Bravo 1 - Mahal
            (past)1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
            (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

My 38 has large + & - buss bars located above the lower helm access door (galley side) fed directly from the house bank circuit protection breaker in the engine room. From the bus there are two wires to the 50 amp main DC breaker on the lower helm. This breaker feeds the circuit breakers above the lower helm ignition switches. On that panel is a 20 amp breaker labelled electronics that feeds a multi gang male spade connector under the upper helm. I took that feed to a new Blue Seas fuse panel at the upper helm and ran all my electronics from that panel.
              Figuring that all out was so much easier once I removed the fridge for replacement

James
              1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
              Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
              Lowrance Electronics!
              Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
              Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
              AGLCA #8340
              MTOA# 7469

Comment

James,
                I looked at the circuit breaker panel. On mine the electronics breaker is unused. However I wanted to run a 30 amp circuit so going to the lower helm bus was perfect for that.
                Working in the lower helm area is a challenge and I plan to clean up the rats nest. Maybe I will have to pull frig for easier access.Hate to disturb it as it’s original and works fine.
                Gibraltar, Mi.
                1986- 3870- Hino 175's
                14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Sunbird,

If you do decide to remove the original fridge to gain access to below the lower helm note that on mine there was a piece of 3/8 plywood that was semi glued to the top of the fridge to provide separation between the AC wiring and metal top of fridge. Bayliner had screwed cable retainers to this piece of plywood so I had to lift the AC panel up to access and remove the screws that were holding the fridge from sliding out.

James
                  1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                  Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                  Lowrance Electronics!
                  Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                  Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                  AGLCA #8340
                  MTOA# 7469

Comment

circuit breakers on the lower helm can be replaced with with amperage ones. Unless you are going to be running big equipment on the upper helm 20amp should be fine. Else just replace the breaker. Much easier than installing an in-line fuse that you forget about.

I did this and brought the circuit breaker to local chandler and they had one in stock.
                    Craig
                    Nanaimo bc
                    1987 bayliner 3818
                    w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
                    10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Comment

Working...
                    X