4788 Cummins can't get all the air out of the fuel system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Cummins can't get all the air out of the fuel system

Just had some yearly maintenance done on my Cummins 6BTA's and now the port engine keeps getting air into the fuel system. I have bleed it twice. It runs great for about 8 minutes and then starts to run rough and then shuts down. Once again there seems to be air in the fuel system. My mechanic just replaced the secondary fuel filters as I replaced the primary's earlier this year. New secondary filter seems to be on tight, any thoughts on why all of a sudden I'm getting air into the system? I notice when bleeding the engine the second time that the primer on my primary racor is leaking a little bit of fuel when you press on it...if it's leaking fuel could this be an air entry point? Thanks for any Suggestions... Jason
    Jason M.
    Bellevue, Washington
    4788 "Third Day"
    Cummins 330's

Yes it is sucking air through the primer.
    check and see if that part can be replaced, or tightened some.
    If it has the standard pump piston type tighten the pump by screwing it down tight, if it does not work look for parts.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!!! I have a 400 series Racor Filter with primer, so I'm guessing I'll have to replace the entire unit as I don't think you can tighten any part of the primer???
      Jason M.
      Bellevue, Washington
      4788 "Third Day"
      Cummins 330's

Comment

Part number 4120R30Racor
        [email protected]

Comment

If you need to replace your racors, I have a pair of racor 900's brand new in boxes, never been used
          for sale. $200 each.

Comment

Sockeye thank you for the part number and thanks Skye Peak for the racor 900 offer. I'm going to stick with 400 series racors as they have built in primers... which are handy. Hopefully this will be the fix. Going to Fisheries today.
            Jason M.
            Bellevue, Washington
            4788 "Third Day"
            Cummins 330's

Comment

• sockeye
              sockeye commented
              Editing a comment
              Jason
              You can get the part in Surrey BC (not too far from you) if not available in Seattle
              The cost is $271.00 canadian or $50US HaHA Call gord 604-888-3726

There is also a thumb actuated priming pump just below the fuel injection manifold. Keep depressing it until it squeaks.
            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
            MV Kia Orana
            Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Replaced both Racors today and problem is solved! Figured I'd replace them both as the second primer was leaking a little bit of fuel as well. Thanks everyone for the help!!!
              Jason M.
              Bellevue, Washington
              4788 "Third Day"
              Cummins 330's

Comment

Working...
              X