reverse cycle heating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse cycle heating

I have a 1990 Bayliner 3888, it has what I am told is a reverse cycle heating system,works but wife not happy.
    1. I am not sure whether it is working to the max not one to compare with.
    2. Don't know much about them, anyone has pdf of manual that could help or know how to test it. thanks

Reverse cycle heat draws available heat out of the water. The colder the water, the less heat available. Where are you located and what is the current water temp? Does your boat also have the electric heaters?
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

You probably want to have this on the Motoryacht forum.
      Plus one with Sunbird. From my research for replacing my heating system, I found that the reverse system needed to have AC to work either heating or cooling and there was supplemental heat needed if the cruising water was below something like, and this is from feeble memory, 50 degrees. That eliminated the system, along with having to run genset or be plugged in, sent me back to a diesel furnace.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Moving to MY forum.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

You'll get heat from water down to the freezing level. It isn't heat like from a dedicated heater, but will raise the salon temps. It is simply AC in reverse. Given the power it takes, there are better heat solutions.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH1...g+buddy+heater

Set up of these in front the wife. I have found this unit to be very handy, and quite inexpensive.

The reverse cycle is nice when you have free power like I do, but it does have it's limitations.

Comment

• igiftmon
              igiftmon commented
              Editing a comment
              I have friends that use these on thier flybridges and they seem to be a great little until.

That said, I’m not sure these heaters are rated for enclosed environments like a boat cabin. I would be VERY careful to not use it In a confined space like a salon or cabin area due to a concern of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning without significant fresh air exchange. I would definately leave the heater on while sleeping, as though it appears that the heater has a low oxygen sensor, is not a carbon monoxide (CO) sensor. I believe in a canvased area it works well, though as there is enough fresh air circulation. Regardless of how I used it, I would install a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm...

I hope this helps.

BJ
              OMEGA

you may want to flush your system with a product like Saltaway. Before flushing, I was recording a temperature of around 105 F coming from all 3 units. After a 6 hour soak the temperature had risen tp 125F. Certainly made a big difference in how long it took to heat up the 490. I also have a Mr. Heater
            . They work well. Hope this helps. Ted

Comment

Big Buddy's burn at close to 100% efficiency. I've run them literally sitting next to a C02 detector and have yet to have an alarm, they are designed to be run in enclosed spaces. However, I agree not to run any propane or electric heater when asleep. I've been toying with the idea of tapping into the propane system on the boat and joining it to the big buddy. The little bottles come at a premium of course, but I think I used a case over two seasons at the cost of $50.00. Pretty inexpensive really. Plus you can move it to the dock, the flybridge whatever. I think I paid 100 for mine.
              I will add I bought the A/C adapter for the blower for a few bucks and run it from the inverter. Love that heater to death.

Comment

Working...
              X