Winterize 3988 transomshower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterize 3988 transomshower

This summer we purchased a 1997 3988. The only thing that I have previously winterized is a much simpler small boat. Because we live in a temperate area, have bilge heaters and easy access in case of power loss, we have decided not to winterize the main systems. I am worried, however, about the transom shower. I went to look at it today, and after quite a bit of crawling around the area below it I can see the lines that feed it but I cannot see where they go from there. Can anybody give me some suggestions?

Thanks!
    1997 3988
    Cummins 270 HP
    Shady Grove Harbor
    Soddy Daisy Tennessee

Remove and store the shower head, shake water out of the extension hose, and you should be good to go. In the Pacific Nortwest I did freeze and crack a shower head one winter, but have never had an issue with water lines in the lazarette. I keep a 38 degree heater in the lazarette but it rarely comes on.
    "Impasse". 2001 3988
    Cummins 330's
    Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

There are no shut-offs or drain points from the factory. Simply opening the faucet will give expansion room. The bilge heat will look after any water in the hose loop.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

My boat is on Lake Washington in Bellevue. I open all the taps, 3 sinks 2 showers and the outside shower. Pull the tube all the way out and lay it on the lazerette floor. After a few weeks there should be no water in the system. Obviously turn your freshwater pump off;-) Been doing this for nearly 10 years and never had an issue.
        1996 4087 Lazy Days
        2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
        2011 Porsche Cayman
        2010 Lexus IS 250C
        2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Thanks to all! A much simpler solution than I thought.
          1997 3988
          Cummins 270 HP
          Shady Grove Harbor
          Soddy Daisy Tennessee

Comment

Working...
          X